Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running brake and fuel lines past the rear diff
bi22le

posted on 16/11/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Running brake and fuel lines past the rear diff

The Striker is currently getting a overhaul, far more than originally planned. Due to young children \ study \ work I only have short periods of time and days away at track days are far and distant plan.

Any way, I digress. Take a look at the way my fuel and brake lines are run

badly run fuel lines
badly run fuel lines

Although this has been fine since build, I want to change it. I am not happy with them squeezing through a gap with some foam jackets to protect them. The problem is that I dont really have a neat and better alternative.

Any suggestions on a better way to run these lines?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/11/17 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think most are run that way other option is on the bottom rails and out
CosKev3

posted on 17/11/17 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
As above,most go inside the tunnel either at the top like yours or at the bottom under diff.

I prefer them inside the tunnel than how Westfield run their's, they have brake and fuel lines running underneath the car's floor.

peter030371

posted on 17/11/17 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Its all very tight around there isn't it

After looking to go below the diff I decided that I would rather have it above and 'tucked up' from any potential grounding issues in the future. Best pictures I can find right now and you can see its much the same as yours. I've got a single brake line to the rear (which you can then see is split left and right), fuel out and fuel return + the wiring loom all going through that small gap.

Pipe routing around diff
Pipe routing around diff

rear bulkhead
rear bulkhead

The diff shouldn't be moving and figured that if I have hit something hard enough to move the diff then brake and fuel pipe damage will be the least of my worries!

After 300 miles I have taken the transmission tunnel top cover off and I can see zero sign of any rubbing or chaffing so I am happy with that

Just remembered, below the diff I have a pair of handbrake cables that take up a lot of room.

[Edited on 17/11/17 by peter030371]

furryeggs

posted on 17/11/17 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I ran mine past the diff from through the tunnel, I did cut/trimmed one of the fins to get an extra 10mm clearance where they pass each other
SteveRST

posted on 17/11/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've just relocated my Westfield brake and fuel lines to run along inside of the tunnel with fuel lines coming out via the bottom of the diff and brake line coming out via top of the diff. I felt that was a much better option than running along the bottom of the flat floor, which is how Westfield did it!

Diff is pretty much solid mounted in the chassis. Shouldn't move!

[Edited on 17/11/17 by SteveRST]

bi22le

posted on 17/11/17 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the confidence.

Maybe I'll just leave them then. Maybe nibble some space from the to of the diff.

With the rubber covers the are no signs of wear so I am not worried about that. It just looks a little compromised.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gaz_gaz

posted on 21/11/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRST
I've just relocated my Westfield brake and fuel lines to run along inside of the tunnel with fuel lines coming out via the bottom of the diff and brake line coming out via top of the diff. I felt that was a much better option than running along the bottom of the flat floor, which is how Westfield did it!

Diff is pretty much solid mounted in the chassis. Shouldn't move!

[Edited on 17/11/17 by SteveRST]

I don't suppose you took any pictures along the way did you?
I'm doing the same myself and trying to find a nice way of mounting the fuel lines

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.