Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reliant Kitten Project
John Bonnett

posted on 2/8/19 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Reliant Kitten Project

With the G15 BMW finished and sold it is time to think about the next project which this time is based on a Reliant Kitten. Compared with other Countries, France in particular where no mechanical modifications are allowed, we are really lucky to have the freedom that we have. My project will stay within the DVLA rules and qualify for the mandatory 8 points in order to retain the registration and identity of the original car.

My plan (which is subject to continuous change) is to indulge myself with the bodywork to satisfy my craving for metal shaping and mechanically to give it a modest 180bhp/tonne to ensure a reasonable performance on the road.

I have purchased the car which is a bit of a basket case and hasn't turned a wheel for a very long time. The body has to come off before the state of the chassis can be assessed and that's what is happening at present. I'm not a lover of working with rusty metal but all my projects start this way and as we know it does get better once parts are cleaned up and painted.

rdodger

posted on 2/8/19 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent. Looking forward to another of your projects.
John Bonnett

posted on 1/9/19 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Right, a bit of progress. The body is now removed which has revealed a chassis that is quite rusty and dissolved away in a couple of areas. Once the chassis is stripped down I'll get it over to the blasters and once done I'll know what I'm up against.

I've had various ideas about powering the car from a turbocharged Reliant engine, Fiat 1108 and finally, the option I'm going for, 1.6 Ford Sigma, type 9 gearbox and MGB rear axle. This should be bullet proof and reliable. As the first stage I now have the bell housing to mate the engine to the gearbox.

[Edited on 1/9/19 by John Bonnett]

Mike Wood

posted on 13/10/19 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
John

Looks good already. I expect another innovative and well executed build.

Are you sending updates to the Reliant Kitten Register as they are always interested in projects.

Did the Reliant engine and box go on to a good home - as might be of interest to 750 Trophy builders, as well as Kitten restorers.

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers
Mike

PS guess you have seen the V8 drag racing Kitten: http://beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/reliant_kitten.htm
and a more recent Honda S2000 powered hillclimb Kitten:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRiyBjZWXN8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-gallery-12/reliant-kitten-s2000-hill-climb-car-1088989/

(apparently someone has put a ZZR bike engine in one, plus other bike conversions)

[Edited on 13/10/19 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 13/10/19 by Mike Wood]

big_wasa

posted on 13/10/19 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
A good candidate for Oem injection

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=199233

John Bonnett

posted on 13/10/19 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you both for your replies and interest in my project. This is a great forum for bouncing ideas and receiving good advice.

I have trawled YouTube and google for modified Kittens and found quite a lot of really nicely done cars from bike engines, V8s, Duratec, Cosworth YB and the Honda engined car that you mentioned. There's also an MX5 one out there too.So there's plenty of food for thought and inspiration.

The Reliant engine that came with the car is excellent but it is the original and its number matches that on the chassis plate so I'm not that keen to part with it. I'd like to keep it with the car and if down the line someone wanted to restore it to original the engine would be there. Same with the gearbox and axle.

I am a member of the Kitten register and they are good people offering excellent support and good supplies of spare parts. However, I've no plans at the moment for writing the build up for their magazine. This may come later on when the car is finished.

I'm pretty well decided on fuel injection but will probably use an after market system rather than trying to get the Focus ecu to play ball. Funding is always a problem so I'll be starting with a standard engine rather than going for 140bhp straightaway. The type 9 is currently with 1st Motion having a close ratio gear set fitted; not a cheap option but it has to be done.

The chassis is back from the blasters and now ready for repair. Blasting revealed no unpleasant surprises and it's great to have lost the rust.
[img][/img]

[Edited on 13/10/19 by John Bonnett]

[Edited on 13/10/19 by John Bonnett]

SJ

posted on 14/10/19 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've loved Reliant Kittens by association ever since I was a kid. The reason being that there was a bloke who lived up the road who drove a DeTomaso Pantera which was the coolest car by a mile.

The guy's daily driver was a Kitten!

big_wasa

posted on 14/10/19 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I'm pretty well decided on fuel injection but will probably use an after market system rather than trying to get the Focus ecu to play ball. Funding is always a problem so I'll be starting with a standard engine rather than going for 140bhp straightaway.

It's really not much harder than any aftermarket stand alone ECU. It's cheap. You plug it in and drive it. When you have the car dialed in you have the options of tuning and upgrading still.

I did try to buy a local kitten a few years ago with no luck. I had three or four Regals and Reliant's before I was old enough to drive so I have a soft spot for them.

Back in the day my parents would be up front, my three brothers on the back seat and I traveled all over the country in the boot.

John Bonnett

posted on 14/10/19 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I'm pretty well decided on fuel injection but will probably use an after market system rather than trying to get the Focus ecu to play ball. Funding is always a problem so I'll be starting with a standard engine rather than going for 140bhp straightaway.

It's really not much harder than any aftermarket stand alone ECU. It's cheap. You plug it in and drive it. When you have the car dialed in you have the options of tuning and upgrading still.

I did try to buy a local kitten a few years ago with no luck. I had three or four Regals and Reliant's before I was old enough to drive so I have a soft spot for them.

Back in the day my parents would be up front, my three brothers on the back seat and I traveled all over the country in the boot.

You have my interest

PM sent

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.