Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front indicators in nosecone
jabbahutt

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
front indicators in nosecone

Afternoon all

Back off my hols and trying to get on with some progress with the car.

Wired up the headlights last night and then came to the indicators and had a head scratch session.

The indicators are fitted to the nosecone which I've hinged at the bottom to allow it to open and allow access to the rad etc.

I'm trying to think of a neat way to allow enough spare wire to allow the nose cone to open without disconnecting the indicators but still be neat when shut without having two small coils of wire coiled in the nose cone which seems a bit of a gash solution.

Any solutions from anyone with a hinged nose cone or any ideas in general for a tidy solution much appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

ReMan

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve done just the same. Make sure ad bring the wire in right down by the hinges, that way you wont need a coil of wire, just a little bit of slack between two points
Pdlewis

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
When i had a hinged nose cone I fixed connectors to the chassie at the bottom by the hinge then made up cables the right length and put small spiral wrap on them and they became invisable when the cone was up and very easy to remove if the cone needed to come off
worX

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
An obvious solutiuon would be to just bring the mounted indicator wires up the inside of the nosecone and put all four wires into a single 4 way plug which you fix next to the nosecone's top mounting bolts/nuts or whatever it is that you use to secure it with the hinge.

That way it's only an extra 2 second job anyway and it stays neat and safe...

Steve

Humbug

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
a bit of thin stretchy bungee (I'm thinking of the one about 5mm diameter) holding the wires when in the closed position, but allowing some movement when open?
eznfrank

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Run it along the lower chassis rail, over the hinge and up the front of the inside of the nose cone and back along the underside of the top of the nose cone?? Does that make sense??

Just for the record I haven't done this yet but am just about to and had planned it like that?

02GF74

posted on 31/3/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
wires schmires

I would use spring loaded contacts like you got on older Astras in the boot lid for the rear wipers and stuff.

if you design and make it properly you won't need loopy wires.

jabbahutt

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all, once again just shows how you can throw a question out there and within minutes get more than one solution.

Why none of these occured to me yesterday is beyond me, I'll put it down to jet lag otherwise it's another tick in the stupid box

Deckman001

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Remember to check the lights distance from outer edge before you fix them to the nose, you may fall foul of sva if your not all ready passed

Jason

DaveFJ

posted on 31/3/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
how about using one of those retracting cable jobbies you see on so many portable USB type devices these days? Sure thay could be changed to carry a 2 core cable for the indicators...

[Edited on 31-3-08 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MikeRJ

posted on 31/3/08 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
wires schmires

I would use spring loaded contacts like you got on older Astras in the boot lid for the rear wipers and stuff.

Ahh, you mean the ones that always corroded and then melted in their housings...

By far the simplest way is to run the cables next to the hinge so the action of opening the nose cone twists the cable a little rather than bending it. No excess cable needed to flap around and as long as you enable the "twist" over a decent length of wire it won't cause the wire to break after repeated openings.

Humbug

posted on 31/3/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
or... have the indicators on the wings or udner the headlights, then no indictors on the nosecone at all, no hassle with wires when opening, etc. (though you may have other hassles... )
02GF74

posted on 1/4/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
wires schmires

Ahh, you mean the ones that always corroded and then melted in their housings...

yes, not the most reliable but a wipe now and then fixed it. Presumably this type of contact no longer appear on production cars which says something.

For a nose cone, should be fine, you are not going to lift it off as often as you would a boot.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.