Board logo

Other than MX5
scotty g - 15/3/19 at 12:45 PM

Hi all,
I'm currently collecting the parts needed for my next project, its a Fury body that i'm going to stretch a bit to fit onto a Locost chassis.
Now i've been looking out for a cheap MX5 1.8 as the prefered donor of choice these days but also been looking at any other options and just seen a BMW 116i SE.
1.6 engine, all ally and 6 speed box and must say i'm tempted even though at 121BHP it's a little less than the MX5.
What do you guys reckon, is it a contender?? Pros and Cons. Discuss.
Cheers.

Paul_Arion - 15/3/19 at 01:19 PM

Stick with the MX5 I recon - loads of rusting donors around and the engine is very easily tuned for plenty of power with a turbo kit. Try the MX5nutz Facebook buy n sell page as loads of cars come up on there at some very good prices

scotty g - 15/3/19 at 01:45 PM

Yeah Paul i know its a great engine and they are still cheap and plentiful, i just like to try and think outside the box sometimes. haha

Paul_Arion - 15/3/19 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Yeah Paul i know its a great engine and they are still cheap and plentiful, i just like to try and think outside the box sometimes. haha

Ah well in that case I recon an RX8 rotary engine would be fun in a Fury bodyshell

theduck - 15/3/19 at 01:56 PM

The rx8 rotary engine would be superb in a kit, but its an acquired taste and has its inherent reliability issues, if going rotary better off with an an older 13b to be honest.

As for BMW, could be a great donor, but go for a 6 cylinder rather than one of the of the 4 cylinders, something like an m50b28 would be great.