Board logo

Outdoor porcelain tiles, slip rating
02GF74 - 13/5/20 at 05:43 PM

I'm looking to tile the patio and have found a good deal for porcelain outdoor tiles that are R9 slip rating.

I have no idea how that translates to real world, there is minimal slope but it will be rained on.

I can also find tiles with R12 rating but close to 2x the price, again I haven't a clue how much difference that would make.

Obviously if I can get away with the cheaper tiles, then great but not if it means much higher chances of busting an arm or leg.

[Edited on 13/5/20 by 02GF74]

gremlin1234 - 13/5/20 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I'm looking to tile the patio and have found a good deal for porcelain outdoor tiles that are R9 slip rating.

I have no idea how that translates to real world, there is minimal slope but it will be rained on.

I can also find tiles with R12 rating but close to 2x the price, again I haven't a clue how much difference that would make.

Obviously if I can get away with the cheaper tiles, then great but not if it means much higher chances of busting an arm or leg.

[Edited on 13/5/20 by 02GF74]

/joking/
well if you look at all the old roman and other porcelain statues, most have broken arms /-joking/

but real world
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/geis2.pdf

number-1 - 13/5/20 at 05:54 PM

R9 are for indoors....R12 are for outdoors............dont break your back......get the R12. Or dont tile the patio...........

https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/blog/2018/06/27/anti-slip-tile-ratings-and-grades-r13-r9-explained/

[Edited on 13/5/20 by number-1]

02GF74 - 13/5/20 at 06:18 PM

The reason why I am looking at porcelain tiles is they are thinner than slabs, 10-20mm vs 38-50mm. I don't want to raise height of the patio so as not too risk breaching damp course and thicker slabs will create a step from the garage to patio.

Thinnest slabs I've found are 38mm.

steve m - 13/5/20 at 06:22 PM

My mother has some porcelain tiles in the front porch, and when the get wet they are lethal,

I wouldn't have them just for that reason

steve

number-1 - 13/5/20 at 06:23 PM

Leave the tiles short of the wall and backfill with gravel so any water drains away.

BangedupTiger - 14/5/20 at 11:40 AM

Internally I wouldn't use anything less than an R13 in a bathroom or are that will get wet, so I'd say the same for outside.

I've got Travertine flooring downstairs and if you stand on it with a wet shoe its like an ice rink.