Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet Tyres
chutley

posted on 28/8/15 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wet Tyres

I was fortunate and got a second set of rims thrown in when I bought the car. They currently have Prada Spec 2 Tyres on, which are apparently not great in the wet and only passable in the dry. But they were free, so they will be used before I change them

I'll run Yokohama A043 or AD08 for the most part. But I wonder what to put on the spare rims for wet tracks? Where would I get a set of pukka race Wets - I have googled and come up with nothing. 15" 195/50 Tyres.

Thanks for advice as always.

[Edited on 28/8/15 by chutley]

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/15 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Proper wet (ie standing water etc) - something like a rainsport 2.
just lightly wet, soft 888s.

Mistral Motorsport

JimSpencer

posted on 28/8/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Road tyres are possibly a slightly better bet than semi slicks when you get to the standing water stage - but won't be a patch on full race wets.

Oddly if you went on the favourite auction site and typed in 'Dunlop 185/580R15' it would take you to somebody selling a set - NTDWM either - a little pricy for part worn's but not silly - as they'll be properly expensive new
(they will be a little narrower and a tiny bit - 4mm - smaller diameter than your 195/50's)

If you want new ones just call BMTR and have a chat to the motorsport department about some Avon's - ensure you are sat down when they get to the price bit though..

Saying that if I was on a track day where it got to the stage where it was so wet that I needed them I'd be in the café.

matt5964

posted on 28/8/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
What about toyo R1R's as they have same compound as R888's but more grooves to handle the water, they are what I run, and we have been to Cadwell and rockingham in the wet with reasonable results.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

jeffw

posted on 28/8/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Road tyres are possibly a slightly better bet than semi slicks when you get to the standing water stage - but won't be a patch on full race wets.

Oddly if you went on the favourite auction site and typed in 'Dunlop 185/580R15' it would take you to somebody selling a set - NTDWM either - a little pricy for part worn's but not silly - as they'll be properly expensive new
(they will be a little narrower and a tiny bit - 4mm - smaller diameter than your 195/50's)

If you want new ones just call BMTR and have a chat to the motorsport department about some Avon's - ensure you are sat down when they get to the price bit though..

Saying that if I was on a track day where it got to the stage where it was so wet that I needed them I'd be in the café.

Funny enough BMTR never seem to mention price when I order...and +1 for the cafe !

chutley

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmm, the cafe is probably the better option in the rain.

But what about when it stops and the track is wet with standing water. Assume it would still be better to have a set of wet tyres??

AdamR20

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wusses! You must both be from the South?

The best track days (and races) I've had have been in terrible conditions, example...

https://youtu.be/3WvzUHHhLWs

'Wets' are amazing though, however decent road tyres with plenty of tread are plenty safe enough too, as long as they clear enough water not to aquaplane that's all you need.

[Edited on 28/8/15 by AdamR20]

CNHSS1

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
If using a road based tyre (as opposed to a race wet) 888s are average, as are A048s, best are new kumho V70s in soft or super soft. If your class allows it, these can be re-cut and the outer grooves taken out to full depth to the edges and the wear markers removed, allows them to dispel a huge amount of water and the compound makes tgem as close to a race wet as you can get. Does render them non road legal as youve recut them though. Even these arent as good as race wets.

If you can find race wets s/hand you ideally need the tread blocks as 'sharp' as poss (if theres a choice and you can pick a set) as once the blocks are rounded through wear they dont cut through the water as well.
Clio Cups used 15" iirc as do some radicals (SR3 or SR8 Fronts iirc)

Like Jim, if is pi55ing down that much, best place for the cars on the trailer and im in the caf too (many a happy hour in the Anglesey cafe eh Jim?)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Clio Cups used 15" iirc as do some radicals (SR3 or SR8 F)

Only the shortlived ph1 172, all ph2 were 195 45 16 (205s on the 182)

Very popular to use 15s due to the greater choice and value of track day orientated tyres.

Mistral Motorsport

CNHSS1

posted on 28/8/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry meant clio cup race series not road cars, current use 17" slicks not sure what size wets, but back jn the day they were 15" wets

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

PGD

posted on 13/11/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of anywhere else to source used Wet tyres?

They seem to be tricky to get hold of..

Has anyone tried Winter Road tyres? Any thoughts on using those? They'd wear pretty quick I would imagine..

[Edited on 13/11/15 by PGD]

AdamR20

posted on 13/11/15 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
They tend to come up at the end of the race season Phil, get a seach set up on eBay.

Not tried winter road tyres on track myself, but plan to do so at some point. Have found decent road tyres work very well though - after all, all they need to do is clear water, all the fun is in going sideways

loggyboy

posted on 13/11/15 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PGD
Has anyone tried Winter Road tyres? Any thoughts on using those? They'd wear pretty quick I would imagine..
[Edited on 13/11/15 by PGD]

Unless you're racing at temps under 7degrees, winters would be worse than half decent road tyres.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.