Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tvr advise needed
main82000

posted on 23/5/10 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
tvr advise needed

hi all
does anyone on here know anything about tvr tuscans, mates havin this annoying little problem he posted on piston heads with the prob so i said ill try on here from the good guys

so here it is

Had my 2000 tuscan for a while now, ever since I purchased it, it's had a missfire/hesitation/rev limiter at around 5500rpm (varies although never below this) when at full throttle. Doesn't seem to happen through 1st or 2nd gear, sometimes the cut out is quite harsh like a rev limiter and the car will not pull through it unless you back off the throttle, other times it's more of a farting (best I can think of to describe it) that you can pull through eventually.

Assumed it was ignition so either coil pack or HT leads so didn't go back to the dealer on it (assuming a cheap fix). Didn't actually get around to sorting it out until a year later This was probably foolish as after changing the coil pack and HT leads (some very nice magnacor KV85s) it's still doing it

I seem to be getting EFI fault much more persistantly than usual too. I've checked the earths and these seem ok so lambda or I've read about throttle bodies.

Lambda wouldn't cause the problem at those rpms right? So that leaves throttle bodies, seems to be about the right mileage for it going on other stories I've read. I've spoken to dreadnough though who did a 12k service on the car about 3k ago and they said it was unlikely to be throttle bodies as it would have shown on diagnotiscs.

Engine history for anyone interested:

Full Rebuild @ 19020 By Racing Green Dec 06 - No details on what was done, according to RG it was sent to TVR for rebuild so no paperwork
6k service @ 26100 By TVR Power - Before I collected the car
12k service @ 30878 By Dreadnought
33k on the clock now

Before I embark on the 4 hour journey to Dreadnought, I wonder if anyone has any other ideas as I guess if it's throttle bodies I'm in for a hefty bill on top of a new clutch, radiator and another service looming

thanks for any help

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 23/5/10 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
couldnt be something simple like crankcase sensor only a stab in the dark as had cars in the past that caused miss fires etc popping and banging also like a rev limiter when they where loose???

only a guess hope you get it sorted

britishtrident

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Could be the the crank sensor or some other iff connection but I would strongly susoect the fuel delivery rate & pressure

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

turbodisplay

posted on 23/5/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess fuel pressure/ flow insufficeint. So what about the pump or the supply/earth to the pump fault.
If you run the engine, measure the voltage accross the bat, acrross the pump.
If the voltage accross the pump is more than 1-2 volts i would be concerned.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grazzledazzle

posted on 23/5/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
They all do it. Or at least Tamoras do. It is an agricultural soft cut rev limiter and it is a real pain in the arse and in the wrong place. Feels like some kind of stutter / misfire.

Oh and it should always run on super, otherwise you get stutters throughout the rev range.

[Edited on 23/5/10 by grazzledazzle]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.