Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who do I need to employ?
tegwin

posted on 10/6/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Who do I need to employ?

Yet another question about my forthcomming house development im afraid !!

We are looking into various options for extensions etc to increase the size of the kitchen and possibly the bedroom above.

All things being equal we will complete at the end of the month. I want to have some people lined up to come in and get the ball moving with quotes etc ASAP.

But who do I need to get in? Do I need to find a local architect, or would a "builder" be enough to help price up the various options and then submit planing applications?

We obviously need to keep the cost as low as possible. But want to get things right the first time around.

Not having used the trades before im not sure how it works!

Any any one in Plymouth able to suggest an architect/builder etc that does good work?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
An architect can cost a fair bit but,if they're half-decent, they can organise all of the trades to do the job at the appropriate time.

A previous boss of mine decided to project-manage the building of a 'flat-pack' house (a big kit!) and he almost had a nervous breakdown due to arguments with plumbers, roofers, etc.

grazzledazzle

posted on 10/6/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on what you want the finished product to be and how you want to go about getting it.

I'm an architect, get in touch if you want any advice.

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/6/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I work as a consultant in the building industry, mainly for Architects.

I would never let a builder loose on their own on a project, you need an Architect he will get you through Planning Permission and Building Regulations.

Back in 2006 Building regulations became much more difficult to get through, because buildings now have to have their CO2 emmisions assessed and whats called a SAP calculation done to denonstrate to building control that its emmissions are within the limits. (Bit like your emmision limits on engines) this has to be done by an accredited energy assessor, this may or may not be applicable to you depending upon what your doing but again the Arch should advise you.

Also the Architect should keep the builder under control in terms of them claiming extra costs - because you know they will!

Also because the architect will draw up a specification you will then have a benchmark to measure against any additional costs if they appear.

You can look on the RIBA website to find an Architect in your area.
Kev

[Edited on 10/6/10 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

skinned knuckles

posted on 10/6/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
get an architect. they will have a list of good builders they work with that can do the job properly. there are a lot of rogue builders out there that could completely screw you over but far fewer crap architects.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

tegwin

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

It appears fairly complex. (just like building a car)...

How much roughly do you imagine an architect would cost?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

watsonpj

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I just paid £900 for the artitect to do plans and calcualtions for a 2 storey extension plus internal wall removal and rsj's. This includes submitting to planning and dealing with the building regs people.
He has supplied drawings (a0) of the house before and after the changes. He has visited twice to discuss also

The painful bit is getting the builders which I just doing at the moment. make sure that you tell them you want prices WITH cost breakdowns. I told mine butthey still just gave the bottom line and when asked they don't have it and seem unwilling to give it (well one of them). The price differences between them is substantial but without getting a breakdown of costs its impossible for me to know which is right (or close to).

best of luck with it

regards Pete

tegwin

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
£900 sounds reasonable. I suspect I will be looking at a pair of RSjs as well...

Can I ask how much the builders are quoting you? (I assume the price is complete build, or is it just for shel?) U2U me if you would prefer.

I guess you got your architect to do the plans etc then got builders in to quote from the plans?

rachaeljf

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi tegwin,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to re your green garage roof budget, how did you go with that? I reckoned you would be up for around £4.5k.

Cheers R

tegwin

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
The garage roof is at my parents place... Im not sure what their plans are..... I now have a nice dry(ish) garage with daylight in it so im happy

Just need to get the house sorted so I can move myself into the garage !

Edit to add..

I am tempted to put together a very basic description/spec with pictures and email it to as many local architects as I can find.... Get their feedback and then invite the better ones to come and visit the site... this sound like a good idea?

[Edited on 10/6/10 by tegwin]

rachaeljf

posted on 10/6/10 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Jolly good!

Re your plan to send out a basic spec to architects, that seems a good idea. Expect to pay around £1k for probably 2 A1 drawings, a spec, building control and planning applications. Watsonpj got a pretty good price I think.

Cheers R

mookaloid

posted on 10/6/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's repeating the above but if you aren't absolutely sure what you are doing then get an Architect.

Builders will try and get away with all sorts and with an Architect to supervise they should at least follow the plans.

If you just get a builder they will do it the easiest way not necessarily the best way for you.

Spending a bit more now means that you should be happier with the finished project. Spend the bare minimum and the chances are you'll never be happy with it.

Good luck with it

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tegwin

posted on 10/6/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yup... good advice... £1000 or so for piece of mind is fine with me!

Im not totally nieve.. and am more than prepared to get the builders to do what they are suposed to

alistairolsen

posted on 10/6/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
depends how much time you have, you could always read the regs and draught it yourself

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.