Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freezing in the garage- which heater?
franky

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Freezing in the garage- which heater?

Had a full day in the garage however it's slow progress due to being so cold!

Its fairly draft free and about 21x13ft in size, what would be the best type of heater to take the edge off things?

I was thinking something like this do you think it'll be up to the job? I'm tight on space too.

Valor Gas Heater with Calor gas canistor on eBay (end time 26-Nov-10 17:35:35 GMT)

Thanks in advance from a cold cold Lincolnshire.

Thinking about it

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the calor gas it makes too much condensation
MikeR

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
gas heaters put out a lot of water vapour. I've said it many times, if you have a metal door, its a great big radiator taking the heat from the garage and pumping it outside, insulate it. My other trick gp to put cheap hardboard on the ceiling to reduce the volume of air in the garage you need to heat. I then wear thermals, lots of layers, a hat and gloves and have a electric heater. After a while i'm toasty, but still haven't solved cold fingers :-( got gloves with just a couple of fingers exposed to try this year.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
a pair of plastic pipes to and from the house hooked into the central heating....

PSpirine

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Insulate it as best you can (if you can loft it, even with small beams to put thin ply boards/insulation on top), door sealing strip on the bottom etc.

That makes by far the biggest difference in my experience.

If it's moderately well sealed (and doesn't have a bare metal door), then even those little fan heater and oil filled heater things will be able to keep a single garage up to comfortable temperature.

Comfortable temperature implies you're still wearing layers and actually doing some sort of physical work - it'll never be warm enough to sit around in tshirt with this weather.

Those radiation heaters work really well but I've never had one - they tend to heat you (and other objects) more than the air so you get a lot more warm "feeling" out of them for the same electricity.

PSpirine

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
a pair of plastic pipes to and from the house hooked into the central heating....

That's fine if the garage is attached to the house!

BenB

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I lined my big old garage door with foam insulation and then covered that in tin foil. The tin foil also helped reflect light back into the garage.
Stott

posted on 25/11/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing this right now. I just put 3off oil filled rads on the wall yesterday, 800W each.

Had them on all day today and it only just took the edge off the cold and certainly wasn't warm. I also find the 2KW fan heaters are crap.

I'm going to insulate the ceiling with polystyrene and I'm going back to the butane 3 bar fire. Much better. I can be out there in a t shirt when it's snowed outside.

The thing that sealed it I think was my roof still formed condensation and rained on me with just the oil filled rads on, not a great deal less condensation than the fire caused and when that baby's on it's hot in there! That and the fact that the last bottle of gas cost me £16 for 25KG and has lasted since Dec 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ran out last week though )

austin man

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
wood burner, pot bellied stove etc then drip feed old engine oil into it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Benzine

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
A few bags of builders sand spread on the garage floor, a fake palm tree and Steel drum music played on a loop will fool your subconcious into thinking you're in Jamaica and you'll feel warm and toasty all day long

[Edited on 25/11/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
What's a garage? I have to use the car port, now that's cold.
steve m

posted on 25/11/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
"I lined my big old garage door with foam insulation and then covered that in tin foil. The tin foil also helped reflect light back into the garage."

That is a good idea with the tin foil,
i have insulated the rafters with loft insulation, that has silver foli on the bottom, and you are right it does reflect the light quite well, i may do the door soon as well!!

ChrisW

posted on 25/11/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
On a slightly different note (sorry to thread hijack!)....

Is there any kind of rubber strip I can fix on the bottom edge of the garage door to stop drafts? I'm thinking something C shaped where the top edge gets screwed to the underside of the garage door. Needs to take up about 20mm of space.

Garage door is wooden btw!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 26/11/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Chris i bought some of this on fleebay, and pov riveted it to the metal door, it has made loads of difference !

RUBBER STRIP 5 METRE LONG 50 MM W X 2.5 MM THICK on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 18:15:55 GMT)

Peteff

posted on 26/11/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Padded overalls at Lidl next week, I've got my name down for pair already

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mikeb

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
the only advantage of having a built in garage in a semi, one oil filled rad on for 30 mins and the garage is pretty warm, no condensation. The only down side, living in a 70's semi with a built in garage taking half my lounge.

M

Stott

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Padded overalls at Lidl next week, I've got my name down for pair already

Saw them this morning while looking for snow suits for the kids, roll on the 2nd Dec. I'm going for the orange striped ones!

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
On a slightly different note (sorry to thread hijack!)....

Is there any kind of rubber strip I can fix on the bottom edge of the garage door to stop drafts? I'm thinking something C shaped where the top edge gets screwed to the underside of the garage door. Needs to take up about 20mm of space.

Garage door is wooden btw!

Chris

Very cheapo solution, a length of platic DPC (or indeed any slightly flexy plactic) and staple it so it just touches the floor. Or indeed some thick fabric/blanket/carpet/underlay/whatever. I suspect rubber will be too grippy and stop the doors moving, or you will still have to leave a gap.
BTW carpet underlay makes a fair insulator, and bubble wrap is awesome/cheap and easy to fix/use.

designer

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Do it, that's what forums are for.
steve m

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I disagree with it making the door difficult to open,
mine is an up and over, and i pop riveted the rubber strip to the bottom, allowinf about 10mm overlap so that when the door is closed the strip actualy bends into a L section and seals the gap, it does not impede the door movement by much

Steve

MikeR

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Locost solution ...........

get some gaffer tape. fold it in half. now get some more gafffer tape and tape it to the inside of you door. The folded bit rubs on the ground and the other bit sticks half on the garage door and half on the folded bit.

I did it a couple of years ago and it still there stopping drafts

designer

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap halogen heater in Argos for 25 quid. It's brilliant.
dhutch

posted on 26/11/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think its a multi prong attack.
- Keeping the heat in with insulation etc.
- Heating the space with a dry heat (elec etc)
- Heating yourself with a IR heater (halogen etc)

Carpet helps a lot too...

Daniel

jacko

posted on 26/11/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/product.lasso?product=Clarke-Little-Devil-Propane-Heater-33000BTU/HR-Max+11517

This what my mate has and its great only needs to be on a few minutes to heat a garage 25x25ft

ChrisW

posted on 29/11/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Chris i bought some of this on fleebay, and pov riveted it to the metal door, it has made loads of difference !

RUBBER STRIP 5 METRE LONG 50 MM W X 2.5 MM THICK on eBay (end time 18-Nov-10 18:15:55 GMT)

Thanks Steve. Had a look at the door today and decided to order 9m of that stuff. Hopefully that will do the job!

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.