Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House Extension advice!!!
martinq357

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
House Extension advice!!!

All,

Does anybody have any knowledge of the following.....

We're looking to build a single storey extension (kitchen/diner/garage) across the back of our 1950's Semi (by happy chance also creating a more comfortable environment for the kitcar).

Our (attached) neighbour also has a single storey extension (built before we moved in) and other houses in the area have had extensions built so not expecting any real problems in the PP department.

The question is - how close can I go to the neighbours extension??

I have made some rough measurements and as far as I can tell, there's is pretty much up to the boundry (by halfing the approx thickness of the party wall and measuring from a reference of the kitchen window).

Any thoughts??

Martin.

StevieB

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Firs thing to do is check through the deeds to your house and see if there's a party wall agreement.

If there is, you own the wall on your side and can build straight off it. If not, speak to your neighbour and see if you can form an agreement. It'll save a bit of complexity in the build and also som money too (plus you gain that little bit extra space on your extension too).

zilspeed

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
From a purely technical point of view, you want whatever you build to work.

That means that the detailing of the roof at the junction with your neighbour has to be spot on, as does the way you construct the outer leaf of the wall at that point.
Then there are the foundations. The foundation generally has a scarcement which is equal at both sides when viewed along the centre line of any wall. That will influence how far out you can build. Doing anything else will eccentrically load the foundation or involve a more complex foundation than you might want. When it comes to specification, I usually go for the simplest approach, so that anyone can build it. Start geting fancy and general builders sometimes get a bit lost. Sometimes - not always.

You must be able to maintain what you build, so that's just as important.

Thinking about these issues, what form does your neighbour's extension take.
Also, how would it influence what you would / could build ?

snapper

posted on 12/12/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
As you want to put an extention on a semi and the neighbour already has one, their extention wall if it has no windows or doors should be an extention of the party wall between your properties.
You will have to talk to them and probably consult a solicitor but should be able to build on to it, foundations could be interesting but a good builder will have come across this situation before

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

grazzledazzle

posted on 12/12/10 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
PM sent.
martinq357

posted on 12/12/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, thanks for the replies!

We already arranged a party wall agreement with them when we had a loft conversion a few years ago. I'd have to dig it out but it was drawn up mutually without using a solicitor.

Their extension is flat roofed and extends about 3.7m.

We were thinking of at least 4m with a flat roof so tying the two together shouldn't be impossible.

Just to add, the neighbour has just called round and we mentioned what we were thinking of doing and the first thing he mentioned was tying it to his and using the party wall so things are looking good so far.

The last thing I want to do is upset them as they've been really good neighbours so some care may be required when it comes to the foundations. But as you say, nothing that hasn't been seen before.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Martin.

escary

posted on 12/12/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
this makes sence

I know that this might seem daft, but contact your local building control officers. It is likely that at least one of them, probably more than one, will have a sideline doing drawings for extensions, they are cheaper and know the regulations inside out and generally point you away from the problem areas involving this type of work.

As long as you have a good relationship with your next door neighbour using one of these guys should smooth things along

regards

Ewan

tegwin

posted on 12/12/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the size and position of the extension you may not actually need planning application... I just had a single storey kitchen extension (2.5x4m) put up without PP....

See if you can find some decent builders who you can actually talk with... get them to have a look and see what they think is possible... Then just submit buidling regulations notice and get on with it :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.