Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: motorbike leathers and boots treatment
Miks15

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
motorbike leathers and boots treatment

Hey guys,

I have a set of alpinestars leathers for my bike which ill be wearing alot over the summer ( 70miles a day for a few months) which i also did last year. So i want to make sure that they are still gunna be good to do several years to come!

What would people recomend to clean and treat them with? Bearing in mind they have and will see a few rainy days.

Also they can be quite squeaky when walking, now i know this is normal with leather but it can be quite loud and annoying, is there anything i can do to them to reduce this, also my boots squeak like hell when walking in them, anything i can do to these?

Last thing, the velcro on my boots isnt brilliant anymore, any tips on renewing it so the velcro doesnt come off when riding?

Cheers All

Peteff

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Try Nikwax leather care, it waterproofs as well. Can't help with the Velcro, might be best to see a cobbler about them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

keithice

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for nikwax... very messy way to do it but I used to use my fingers to massage it in as the body heat used to soften it till almost a liquid. massage it into the creaky areas and it really helps with the noise. ensure all the seams are soaked as this will greatly improve the waterproofing.... but it is messy (p.s. tried most things over 15 years of riding and this worked the best)

[Edited on 25/3/11 by keithice]

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

owelly

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
As above but try to wear a big fleece or teeshirt over the top of your leathers to catch the squished flies. It's easier to put a teeshirt in the washing machine, than your leathers!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree Nikwax is good stuff.

My Mrs revives velcro using parcel tape to draw the fluff and crap out, basically she sticks the tape on the velcro, gives it a good work into the hooks or loops, and slowly pulls it away, along with an amazing ammount of fluff and debris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisxr2

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
squeaking

is the squeaking definately from the leathers, or do your joints need a bit of oil.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

bikenuts

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nikwax is good but messy - best kept for boots, for your leathers try Glipton liquid leather; http://www.liquidleather.com/
I've been using it on one jacket for over 20 years and it still looks good.

Miks15

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the responses guys, will give it a try!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.