Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hilux v l200 v navara
pif

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
hilux v l200 v navara

Need to replace my 96 discovery as the rust is holding the rust together so it is going on the bay first week it snows.

Before the prices rocket I need to replace it. I am looking to get away from LR and into jap pickups. I need a utility bus, will need to have a crew cab to fit the siblings in, need to tow caravan 4 times a year and the odd kit car, very limited mileage as it is really only another toy and to get to work when the weather turns real bad. Use it for a bit of soft off roading to do some shooting but nothing serious.

Disco did 4500 miles in 2 years.

May get £1000 for the disco and perhaps chuck another 2 grand at it.

Never owned a jap pick so what's the consensus on L200 versus Hi lux versus Navara at £3000 money.

Anything to be aware of?

Edited to improve spelling and grammer due to typing original on a train journey.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by pif]

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Nick DV

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Can only tell you what I know from personal experience, but I wouldn't go near the L200 . A mate had one of these from brand new, kept it about 6 months and chopped it in for a Navara. He found the L200 was underpowered and not nice to drive, and I agree. The Navara is miles ahead and a couple of mates have had these from new. IMHO it's a very good motor, but you may have trouble finding a decent one with a double cab for £3k.
Re the Toyota, I have had a couple of imports (Hilux Surf), the current one for 6 years. Not everyones choice, but for towing and going off road to some of the places I go to fish, it has never let me down. These are cheap to pick up.
Plenty of mates with Hilux pick ups - single and double cabs from old to the latest ones with the D4D engine. Cheaps spares and IMHO again, very reliable. Again older decent ones are still sought after and do fetch good money, and obviously much newer ones go for high money.

For me it would be a choice between the Nissan and Toyota, but the Toyota would win

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

metro6r4

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
nivara gearboxes are made of candy floss mate had one as a company car and went through 3 gearboxes in 4 years there renouned for it we had a l200 at work and that pulled well the build quality is fairly good
adithorp

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say Navara.
A mate works on wind farms and so does a reasonable amount of off-roading, huge milages around this country and Europe and carrys a lot of stuff about. His firm have had all 3(and everything else) and wouldn't have anything but the Navara now.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

pif

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
so so far, thats one for the toyota, one for the nissan and one for the L200.

Now do you see my predicament.

BTW ade, need to try and get over to see you, be good to catch up. I want to bring my new manchester sales rep over and you can point in the right directions in your part of the world.

Chris

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

hillbillyracer

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I see a fair few L200 pickups from old to fairly new and they do have faults, on the ones around the £3000 mark the stuff I know of is: apparently the gearboxes are not up to heavy towing though I've never seen a problem, rust can be a problem when older so check for that, front crank pulley dampers let go which is an easy fix but can cause major damage if unchecked, I've seen oil cooler pipes behind the grill rust through taking the engine with them, rear springs crack with heavy use but that will be most makes, cambelts are not to be neglected having seen 2 have the balancer belt come off/strip & be lucky not to take the main belt with them.
All of that is no reason not to buy one just stuff to check & budget for sorting and there's all the normal stuff you'd check for on any vehicle. Given the need of such a vehicle I'd have one in the right condition and price if I couldn't find a Hilux that fit!

I see less Hilux & Navara pickups with good reason, with the Nissan folk have learned to steer clear of them, a good few have seen engine, gearbox & clutch problems costing a lot money. With the Hilux it's because they're expensive new for what you get & therefore less common & those that are around dont go wrong much!!

My cousin had an old Hilux, it being a 2 seater & needing a crewcab he bought a Navara, tolerated it for a few years before buying a new Hilux. His old Hilux is 20+ years old now & will be going for a good while yet as my brother bought it from him & thinks a lot of it, great old bus.

For the use & miles you do though any of them could be a good buy if it's in decent order when you get it.

bikenuts

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Had a 3l Hi-lux Surf for 5 years and regret selling it; probably the best car I've ever owned. Borrowed a L200 and it felt like a toy in comparison especial with a trailer behind it. Only had a quick go in a Navara; seemed fast but under the bonnet looks like science fiction and the interior was way to posh for a work horse.

[Edited on 1/8/12 by bikenuts]

morcus

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
The Best one to have is the Izuzu or however you spell it, Thats the conclusion my dad came to when he bought a pick up and alot of other people too, only he couldn't afford one so he got a ford ranger. The Ranger is a great truck, and it is sort of Japanese because it's the same truck as a Mazda B, and it had the best back seat of the lot.

If it had to be one of those three I'd go for the toyota, just watch the news, thats what all the terrorists are rocking.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
nivara gearboxes are made of candy floss mate had one as a company car and went through 3 gearboxes in 4 years there renouned for it we had a l200 at work and that pulled well the build quality is fairly good

+1
Gearboxes a very common problem on these also wheel bearings also turbo blow ups.

To add it seems to be motorway miles that kill the Navara gear boxes.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've had 2 L200s one a 2007 this one a 2010, touch wood no faults on either, both 168 bhp, whilst still not a sports car they go well enough, but, you'll not get the post 2006 model for £3K.

To be honest I wouldn't touch a pre 2006 L200, gearbox isn't great, the engine is underpowered and crankshaft failure is not uncommon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasongray5

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Navara as my work ute, had a hilux for a while and if I had to choose between the two, I would go for the hilux every time, just for reliability and they are very solid. L200's dont even make an appearance over here, so that tells you pretty much all you need to know, IMHO.

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

StrikerChris

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cant comment on the others but I know afew of the nevaras problems. They are probably the most car like I'd say,except for the sheer size. Not much good for heavy work tho,even in low box they're geared to high to reverse a trailer of any decent weight with out slipping the clutch,unlike your Landy. Also earlier ones suffered with a problem with the oil pickup,although I cant imagine there will be many which haven't had the mod done left,they blew up quite rapidly!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 2/8/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ps I'd check the Tax brackets of them all,for the use your getting you don't want to by dicked with £400 tax a year!

Chris

woodster

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an L200 for work it's the 4work crew cab 2doors with 2 drop down seats for the kids, it's 18 month old now and IMHO drives well and has no trouble carrying weight, the one thing I would say is it can certainly drink diesel but luckily I don't pay for that ........ About £90 every two weeks and I do about 20 miles a day .

[Edited on 2/8/12 by woodster]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.