Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: removing windscreen for IVA - what mirrors?
Jodieshann

posted on 23/8/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
removing windscreen for IVA - what mirrors?

Hi guys,
I've got a Westfield that I've all but completed. I have a windscreen fitted but no wipers or heater. As such i was planning on removing it for the IVA and testing without anything or maybe an aeroscreen. My question related to the wing mirrors. As it's a westfield the wing mirrors are integrated into the windscreen pillars. What should i do about these for the test?

Would it pass without a screen but with the pillars and mirrors left in place?

If not what should i do about mirrors? I don't want to drill another part of the side when I'm going to put the current parts back on after IVA.

Any ideas?

Slimy38

posted on 23/8/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can I suggest you do consider heaters and wipers and do it properly first time? I once had a VW Golf that unknown to me had a broken heater, a cool evening after a hot day meant a bit of condensation inside and with no means of heating I was completely blind. No amount of open windows or wiping with a cloth could get me seeing where I was going.

I'm also fairly sure your windscreen wouldn't pass any MOT without wipers (don't know about lack of heating as the aforementioned Golf had 12 months MOT when I got it).

As a direct answer to your question, I think the IVA man would take a dim view of having quite obvious windscreen supports in the test.

I was also thinking of doing my car with an aeroscreen for the IVA and converting it later, but even then I'd have done it with wipers and deminsters.

Dave Bailey

posted on 23/8/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it... If it is obvious that it had a screen then I have heard people have failed because of this. How are the pillars attached? If they have holes through the scuttle panel then I would use these to mount some mirrors. I went with a screen but still attached my mirrors using one of the pillar holes.

Dave B

[Edited on 23/8/14 by Dave Bailey]

gremlin1234

posted on 23/8/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
the iva test manual is quite specific on 'missing' items
in particular section 45 (safety glass), note 6
"To confirm that the window has been deliberately removed an examiner should ensure that there are no window mechanisms, runners etc. or other window fixings that would indicate that a window should be fitted. If it is clear that, without modification, a window can be fitted then the window is to be considered missing."

Macbeast

posted on 24/8/14 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a windscreen, at least you are gong to need wipers any time you drive. Why not do it now and fit the demister at the same time ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 24/8/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted wipers without demisters, thinking I wouldn't be going out in the rain, big mistake, when you are caught out in the rain, not only do you get soaked. but to add insult to injury, you have to stop because the condensation on the inside cannot be wiped away quick enough, that is, the bits you can reach when you are strapped in.
Do it properly in the first place, it stops kids pointing and laughing.

The Black Flash

posted on 25/8/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Furore products (Russbost on here) do some IVA-compliant mirrors which are just what you need, and not at all expensive. Mount them through one of the existing windscreen holes, or drill a new hole which will be covered by the windscreen support.
Oh, and if If you're driving without a windscreen, wear a full-face helmet, would be my advice.
And you'll definately need wipers if you have a screen. Can't see a demister's much use unless you have a hood.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.