Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Header tank....
JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Header tank....

Morning, I'am fitting a 1.8 blacktop zetec to my Aries. I have fitted the rad and piping, i'am going to fit a alloy header tank. The header tank I have only has a fitting at the bottom........... So do I run the over flow from the rad and the water rail to the bottom outlet on the header tank ? 😁
daniel mason

posted on 2/8/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a expansion tank. Not a header tank!
JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oooooo, can it still be used ?
blakep82

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a pic? It does sound like a header crank or expansion tank to me?

[Edited on 2/8/15 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

CosKev3

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
A header tank needs to have coolant flowing through it, so you need coolant pipes in and out.
JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's a expansion tank. It has a pressurised lid. Sorry, don't know how to put pictures up,plus I don't have a picture. Its an alloy tank one outlet/intel at the bottom and an outlet / overflow from lid. If that helps ?
blakep82

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
A header tank needs to have coolant flowing through it, so you need coolant pipes in and out.

Yep, and a pressure cap on the top

An expansion bottle has an inlet at the top, with a pipe going down to the bottom, and is not pressure sealed and is not part of the pressure system

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
There selling them on eBay,item number 191648698869. I got it cheap.
britishtrident

posted on 2/8/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think perhaps you have fallen into a bling trap not just once but twice, most arrangements of cooling systems can be made to work but it pays to keep it simple.

The most suitable header expansion tanks are generally ones from small hatch backs Rover 25, MG Tf, GM Corsa or Renault Clio, they are have 2 or three connection which allow circulation through the tank and allow trapped air to bleed out the coolant.
Brand new Clio tanks with cap are very cheap on ebay.

Water rails (especially the Raceline) are also best avoided if space permits as they are well known to cause overheating issues unless some work around or bodges are applied.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 2/8/15 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, the eBay one looks badly designed, and by that picture, looks poorly made :/ the weldings not great, and nothing looks straight.

A header tank needs an outlet at the bottom to go to your bottom hose, and at least one on the top into the side of the tank to bleed air and coolant from the radiator and cylinder head.

The eBay one looks somewhere between a header and expansion tank, and not really suitable as either in my optinion
I'd send it back, and contact this guy to make you a suitable header tank
http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/alloy-budget-header-tank.html
His work is very good quality, and he can adjust the size and outlet positions as required

I'm a happy customer of his

JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't get if from eBay. Think I got it off one of the 7 style Facebook pages. I also want it to look the best it can I've been building it for a long time now. 😁
tims31

posted on 2/8/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a renault Clio one for my Zetec Blacktop for £8.00 off ebay. Has an in and an out port a pressure cap and tabs to mount on a bulkhead

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/8/15 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

daniel mason

posted on 2/8/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly what you need ^^^ unless like me you like alloy
JohnH

posted on 2/8/15 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Oooooo, yes. Like alloy. 😁😁😁😁
Oooooooooooo, all shiny

snapper

posted on 3/8/15 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
I was told that you don't want circulation through a header tank just the ability to bleed air
I've fitted a tank with 1 bottom outlet to the bottom radiator hose and one air bleed from the old radiator expansion pipe to the higher smaller side inlet on the tank

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/15 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
The laat production car I can think of that didn't coolant circulating through the header tank was the Allegro. ..........

Honda and some other Asian manufacturers used non-pressurised expansion catch bottles but they used vertical flow radiators where the radiator had a built in top tank.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.