Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Touran rear door locked shut
nick205

posted on 10/12/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
VW Touran rear door locked shut

Afternoon all,

57 plate Touran bought for SWMBO, the rear passenger door is stuck shut. A quick Google suggests a knackered door lock with failing central locking.

I'm confident I can replace the lock, but how to get the damned door open is the question??? The suggestion seem to be remove the inner trim panel to get access inside the door. Again, happy to attempt this, but how easy or hard is it going to be? Internet suggests VW ask you to sign a disclaimer in case they wreck it - a bit worrying!

Any ideas or suggestions chaps?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/12/15 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
If there anything like a Passat to do they are a real pain expect to take a couple of hours to get the panel off then another hour to change the lock . Vw locks are a very common failure maybe worth unlocking on and off on the fob whilst trying to open the door handle.
Slimy38

posted on 10/12/15 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Getting the panel off is certainly tricky, remove the seat pads first to give you room but even then there may be fixings you can't get to. Fingers crossed it's just some loose wiring and you can get the lock to unlock, because if it isn't it can be an unbelievable nightmare. It's the deadlocks that are the pain on VAG cars, having seen one in action whilst off the car I can see why. Dry joints on the circuit boards I think are the most common issue with them, actually really easy to fix when they're 'on their way', but I wouldn't like to attempt a fix on one that was locked shut.

I'd be budgeting a day, and lots of calming music and camomile tea to keep my stress levels down.

britishtrident

posted on 10/12/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am willing to bet the failed latch was made by Valeo. From experince on.other manufacturers cars a small plastic component breaks inside the latch.

I would hunt around for a 2nd interior panel before even touching it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 10/12/15 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I am willing to bet the failed latch was made by Valeo. From experince on.other manufacturers cars a small plastic component breaks inside the latch.

I would hunt around for a 2nd interior panel before even touching it.

been looking on ebay for a spare interior panel

obfripper

posted on 10/12/15 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few things that can fail on these;

If you can hear the mechanism trying to work, get an assistant to cycle the locking while you alternately bang the inside of the door near the latch and pull the release(if the child locks are on, it will still operate the unlocking mech), it should pop open after a few cycles.
This works for me in 95% of the cars i get in at work, there's always 1 or 2 that need the medieval treatment with a grinder to release the mechanism.
The touran trim is a 50/50 on breaking if you have to go that way (the screws across the bottom come out, but the push clips around the edge need a sharp pull to release that is enough to also break the trim) , iirc the last one i replaced was about £150 from tps, so about doubling the price of the job, if the trim does rip apart, it may only be on the plastic welded seam across the middle, which can be re-welded together ok with a good gas soldering iron.
If you get it to pop open before you have the new mechanism, whip off the trim and disconnect the plug so you dont get caught out again.

If there is no noise from the latch when you operate it, and it has rear electric windows, check if the window is working ok from the drivers door controls to establish that the door control unit has communication, if it doesn't it could be the data wire in the door loom broken (depending on model/spec/year this could be a blue/yellow or purple wire that comes from the front door control unit and broken in either door loom, or a twisted pair of can bus wires orange/green and orange/brown of which both have to failed for no action at all), repairing the wiring will restore normal functions, which can be done without opening the rear door.

Feel lucky you dont have a golf v, the mechanism is accessed by removing the doorskin which is bolted onto the doorframe, and is tricky to reach even with the accessible bolts removed, i have had to feed a grinder through the gap and slice up the old mech at arms length until the door fell open to avoid cutting open the doorskin for access.

Dave

tweek

posted on 10/12/15 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Had to do this on a SEAT passenger door a few days before an MOT. Getting the trim panel off wasn't too bad, hacking the lock to bits just to get the latch to release was a monumental pain in the ass.

If you have the time to try the various unlocking techniques suggested, save yourself the skinned knuckles and sliced arms and do it. With the door open it'll only take an hour.

John

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

nick205

posted on 14/12/15 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
OK - weekend passed and I tried various things, including the above thumping the door - no luck!

Brother in law suggested it may be a dead or low battery in the key. Tried spare key, but no joy either.

Getting the interior door trim off with the door shut looks to be a PITA, but it may be the only way to gain access to the lock.

YouTube suggests a knackered lock and that VW ask you to sign a disclaimer for the interior trim as they will most likely break it when removing it.

One other hope is a broken wire where the door opens/closes. Having had to rewire the tailgate on SWMBO's Alhambra I hope it's not that as I don't think I have the patience for it.

Will try again this week and update on progress.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.