Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting LHD to RHD
SJ

posted on 8/4/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Converting LHD to RHD

Anyone know what the legalities are with doing the above. I'm considering a new project and this would be on the cards.
tegwin

posted on 8/4/16 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
This is going to really depend on the vehicle and how its constructed... feel free to give us a teeny bit more detail

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Many tintops use different bodyshells for RHD and LHD -- the engine bay bulkhead is completely different.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 8/4/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've converted 2 E-Types and an MGB from LHD to RHD, never had any issues, or informed DVLA not checks or problems at MOT, but, as BT points out these do not have 'handed' bulkheads, so no chassis modifications.

However if you change the bulkhead for a UK model, are you really modifying the chassis, certainly no more than by replacing a rotted out panel, and as long as you use all the correct rhd components....

Most insurance companies have an LHD box on their proposals, and do load modern left hookers, but classics seem to escape.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 8/4/16 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to do the conversion? Is LHD completely unviable for what you are doing?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SJ

posted on 8/4/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I'm not worried about the conversion. Its an Alfasud so all the parts are available and the RHD and LHD shells are the same.

It was the legal question I didn't know about, but that sounds like it isn't a problem.

Stu

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Just to let you know most of our insurance schemes wouldn't have any issues with this type of conversion so I'm sure shouldn't have too many problems.
Regards,
Dan.

SJ

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.