Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nurburgring
Luego.2.0

posted on 11/7/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nurburgring

Well it was my 40th at the weekend and to my massive surprise
I have 3 nights at a b&b called sliders and a load of laps at the ring.

I've done track days at rockingham and bedford plenty of times
But the ring has always been a dream. Hope it not a case of don't
Meet your hero's.
Has anyone got any advice on how to prepare my luego and are 7 type cars good for the
Track and any other advice I might need

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

CosKev3

posted on 11/7/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Never been myself,but going by my m8 at work that has a season pass and a 4 bedroom house 10mins from the ring he says it all depends on who is on the track with you.

You certainly need to be on the ball with your mirrors as if there are lots of fast bikes going around and cars with fast top speeds they are on you in seconds and certain ones don't have very good track manors.

Be careful is his advice on your first go!

nick205

posted on 11/7/16 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stay alert and take a few "bedding in" laps to get a feel for the car and track. As above fast bikes and cars will come upon you quickly so watch out for those passing you.

Neilwilson

posted on 11/7/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of mates have just been there, they had a total awesome time, sure you will love it! Great gift btw - jealous slightly.
Only advice is to make sure the car is prepped before each lap, breakdown on track costs a fortune to recover. One of my friends cooked his brakes halfway round, pulled off course and got towed back via stewards. Total cost €500! It was then they looked into the charges and found if you damage something on track they also charge you a small fortune.
Best to check insurances etc before starting as well.

Best of luck, would love to see some dash footage after

bi22le

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have been twice and done a fair few laps. Read my link about my first trip below. It has some good tips and tricks.

If you have any particular questions, U2U me.

Its the same as any track day.

There are some really fast cars and bikes that go round and with no track day rules as such it can be crazy at times.

A couple of things that comes to mind. Try to play a driving game with it on and do as many laps as you can. Watch youtube laps and essentially try to learn the track. You will enjoy it more if you know what is coming next!

Regarding faster cars, just stick to your line and drive for yourself. Alot of very good drivers fo and they will find there way around you. In, mid or out of a corner!

Use the long straights to cool your breaks, take in the scenery and breath. There is no fun in screaming down a really lon b straight at 120. Cruise at 80 and enjoy the moment 911 and bikes fly past at 180!! Its an experience that I will never forget.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Fandango

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I did a lap in my Mazda 323, and 2 laps in my RX8 a few years back.

Tried for ages beforehand to learn the track via a Playstation game, but I was lost after a few miles.

Had a great time in the RX8. Not so good in the 323, it was way out of its depth, underpowered, and the brakes were useless after 2 or 3 big stops.

Best advice is just watch out for other people, many cars are stupidly fast, and many drivers are just stupid.

Enjoy.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

hobbsy

posted on 11/7/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Unless things have changed if you join ADAC then you can get free recovery on track. Damaging the armaco still costs a fortune though apparently
bi22le

posted on 11/7/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Unless things have changed if you join ADAC then you can get free recovery on track. Damaging the armaco still costs a fortune though apparently

My friend outbraked himself and nosed into an armco. Smashed light, bumper and rad so needed recovery.

Total cost for recovery, track time atoppage ine and armco repairs. . . . About £1k!!

Dont crash!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

computid

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
The parts about not crashing aren't a joke, it's a VERY expensive mistake to make as one of my friends learned a couple of years ago. Lost it in the wet and took out a massive chunk of Armco, cost him in the region of £6k including recovery off the ring. Then he had to get the car home!

On a more positive note, it is a truly awesome place. The ring is sublime to drive around in the right conditions and so long as you let the faster stuff pass you'll be fine.

Be aware that your UK insurance doesn't cover you for the ring, but since it's a road if you hit somebody else's car you're liable for the damage!!

Luego.2.0

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks ks for all the advice chaps. Ive just dusted off playstation to try and learn it.
The chap from the b and b has offered to come out for my first lap he has had a lot of time on the track. Im going in September so hoping weather is kind.

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

Luego.2.0

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be worth taking out a sepreate insurance

[Edited on 11/7/16 by Luego.2.0]

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

Fandango

posted on 11/7/16 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I used this company;

http://www.moris.co.uk/Track-day-insurance

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

Daf

posted on 11/7/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I go every year and it's an amazing place, everybody is there for one reason - they love cars, the atmosphere is fantastic. The advice given up above is spot on - the two main points:

Don't crash: Take out the insurance, it's a small price to pay - damage to the armco, track, other peoples cars etc etc could easily mean you need to remortgage your house.

Watch your mirrors! I remember the first time I went out, thought I was going well at about 100mph with nothing around me when all of a sudden a bright orange 911 appeared from nowhere and disappeared scaring the life out of me. It doesn't matter how fast you think you are there will always be someone quicker.... a lot quicker! (usually a local in a golf!)

Have fun though, it's a truly fantasic place!

twybrow

posted on 11/7/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I don't think it suits a 7. It is too fast and open to make use of the handling characteristics. This is why you see so many M3s and 911s as they suit the track so much more. I have been a fair few times now, but not since it changed ownership.

Good luck and as above, dont crash!

Luego.2.0

posted on 13/7/16 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have been twice and done a fair few laps. Read my link about my first trip below. It has some good tips and tricks.

If you have any particular questions, U2U me.

Its the same as any track day.

There are some really fast cars and bikes that go round and with no track day rules as such it can be crazy at times.

A couple of things that comes to mind. Try to play a driving game with it on and do as many laps as you can. Watch youtube laps and essentially try to learn the track. You will enjoy it more if you know what is coming next!

Regarding faster cars, just stick to your line and drive for yourself. Alot of very good drivers fo and they will find there way around you. In, mid or out of a corner!

Use the long straights to cool your breaks, take in the scenery and breath. There is no fun in screaming down a really lon b straight at 120. Cruise at 80 and enjoy the moment 911 and bikes fly past at 180!! Its an experience that I will never forget.

Good write up mate. Had a good look at sliders guest house and that looks a good place to stay. Think my wife done good sorting it all out as she has NO intrest in cars and hates the luego

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

gaz_gaz

posted on 13/7/16 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
You'll love it and if you stumble upon some glorious weather you'll probably be hooked for life as the atmosphere around the place is electric when the sun shines.

We go down a couple of times a year for the destination nurburgring trackdays,

Make sure to check the track is actually open on the days you're planning on booking.
The opening times can change at fairly short notice so be sure to check close to booking time.

Drive well within yourself and be aware of the fast cars and bikes around you and you'll have no problems.

I've only ever had 1 big moment there in an Exige. Some coolant/oil had been dropped and it caught me out in the Adenauer Forst section. Luckily there's loads of grass and it was a scare rather than smash. That could have happened on any track though!

loggyboy

posted on 13/7/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I was under the impression there is no line and you should stick to one side of the track and allow overtakes as if on a normal multilane road.

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/7/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
going by the number of track stickers on the backs of cars I see, half the population of boy racers in Aberdeen have driven on this track....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Luego.2.0

posted on 13/7/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
going by the number of track stickers on the backs of cars I see, half the population of boy racers in Aberdeen have driven on this track....

Ill pick u some up might be able to a few quid

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

jeffw

posted on 13/7/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
If this is a Trackday then take trackday insurance. If this is Tourist days it counts as a toll road but you will not be insured under your normal insurance and will not be able to get trackday insurance.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 15/7/16 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I would certainly be looking to take out trackday insurance for this trip if I was you. Unfortunately we can't provide cover for non UK tracks though.
Have fun!
Regards,
Dan.

Hakuraa

posted on 19/7/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Went there last year with Destination Nurburgring for two days so cannot comment on a tourist drive day.
I spent hours watching youtube footage, plus there are a few "how to guides" which are beneficial, main thing is to know where the track goes next. This brings me on to the reason for posting, neither youtube nor a console game can prepare you for the changes in elevation, these are not just on the straights but either before or after corners, and the corners themselves can have a "noticeable" camber. After watching hours of video, taking notice of known accident spots I found it was other parts of the track which gave me more issues with commitment and trusting the front end grip of my MAC 1. Would I go back? Any chance, I got it is awesome, plan is for a track day next year.
Tyre wear is negligible, brakes were ace no issues, no cooling issues, but you are on full throttle a large percentage of the time (I limited myself down the mega fast parts to avoid engine issues a philosophy not shared by the guys who blew the rod through the block on his supercharged Duratec Caterham). If it is wet be aware the racing lines are extremely slippery and unpredictable.
Mostly enjoy and we all envy you.
Andy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.