Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insuring a driver rather than a car
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/9/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
insuring a driver rather than a car

can you do this? I mean not insure the cars but just the named driver who can then use several cars. Bit like I think trade plates work.

Got a few cars that I use just now and again and it's a real pain having to insure them all for not much use.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 21/9/16 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that each car needs to have it's own policy if it's on the road.

Are the cars owned by you or just driven by you? If they're owned by you then a standard third party cover policy would work. Unfortunately if they're owned by you then the third party cover doesn't apply.

'Any car' policies do exist, but don't forget they effectively insure you on a Bugatti Veyron as well as a Ford Fiesta, so they're not overly cheap.

Edit: Apparently I'm talking out of my ar5e, I've just had a look and Adrian Flux sell a limited 'any car' policy;

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/drive-any-car-insurance/

But I can already see that it's any car for someone who doesn't live with you, and is limited to 20K.

[Edited on 21/9/16 by Slimy38]

gremlin1234

posted on 21/9/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
there are multi car policies available
for instance, heres one
http://www.admiral.com/multi-car-insurance/

ReMan

posted on 21/9/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think it exists mate l
Same boat with 5 cars including the porker and the Mk and I'm royally shafted
How many mtors do you need to be trade!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

owelly

posted on 21/9/16 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
There used be 'drivers' policies, or 'riders' policies which covered the policy holder to drive/ride any vehicle up to the value stated on the policy. You could still drive vehicles over that but you were liable for any excess costs in the event of a shunt and it would be 3rd party only. I've not heard of any such policies lately.
There may be a way to use a traders policy but there are quite a few loopholes. For one, the policies I looked at excluded Q-plated cars.
I've just used an Aviva short term policy to move a friends Volvo. £22 for 24hrs. I've used them to shift quite a few vehicles including when I bought my ambulance and drove it up from Wales, and when I took the FiL Audi for MoT.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 21/9/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The only option if your not using multi car is to swap the insurance from one car to another as required, takes but a few minutes, usually costs a few quid
The other issue is mot & tax as you can't tax without mot & insurance
Perhaps you need to actually talk to your insurance company or broker

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Unfortunately these types of insurance aren't available as far as I'm aware. If you'd like help with multi car insurance then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

steve m

posted on 24/9/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at this a few years ago, as I am the only driver in my house, as wifey doesnt drive

I have two cars all the time, Mondeo and 7, however I do get project cars now and again, that I would like to drive

My logic was, that as I was the only person who drives, and I can only be in one place at a time with one of the cars, if I was to have an accident etc, it would be while driving that car

But, what would be one of the reasons that I concluded was, while I was away in say the Mondeo, and one of my cars caught fire, and the other was pinched (a bad day !) I could not be insured on all three cars at the same time, obviously, we would say, that all three happened at different times !

The only other option I could find was, that in house holds were there a few cars, wife and kids etc, to ensure that all the cars were insured, with all the other drivers on the policy, as that would still keep the Fully comp part

I still put my Mother (77) on the Mondeo insurance as that saves my £25-50 a year.

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

coyoteboy

posted on 24/9/16 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wish.

But UK law isn't really geared up for this I don't think either.

Playing devil's advocate: You might only be able to drive one at a time but it's possible for all of them to get stolen, lose a handbrake and crash into someone else, set on fire and burn the car next to them etc etc.

rcx718

posted on 25/9/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
My friend had a policy like you describe, where he could ride any motorcycle as the primary driver, and no actual bike was named on the policy, but it was years ago. Nowadays, seeing as each vehicle needs to be on the insurance database, I don't think the law is flexible enough to even accomodate such a policy.

As for Admiral multi-car, I find it's dearer than insuring each car separately!

[Edited on 25/9/16 by rcx718]

coyoteboy

posted on 25/9/16 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rcx718

As for Admiral multi-car, I find it's dearer than insuring each car separately!

[Edited on 25/9/16 by rcx718]

This ^

They don't insure anything odd/modified/scary. They generally are cheap on one of the cars, then horrendous on the others.

Not much use for an enthusiast but if you have a fleet of shopping trolleys, knock yourself out

mark chandler

posted on 25/9/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Multi car rubbish, they wanted £2500 for a second car on a £470 premium for my main driver, just got limited mileage on the other @ 3000 miles for £400
coozer

posted on 25/9/16 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used a rider policy for years when I was riding bikes but it's all gone now...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.