Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Keeping car outside indefinitely?
Skirrow

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Keeping car outside indefinitely?

I've found myself in a situation where I might not have access to a garage for several months, or perhaps longer. Considering getting a car cover and keeping the seven outside.

Has anyone done this? Will it just end up covered in mould with rotting bodywork?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a good quality breathable cover and shouldn't be an issue.
40inches

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
A really good quality outdoor cover, that fits well, and take it off when the sun shines
ReMan

posted on 25/1/18 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto an appropriate cover.
Mines sat outside for 12 years and stil looks good considering. They are quite resiliant

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Skirrow

posted on 25/1/18 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas! In that case, the next question is which cover?

Is this sort of thing any good? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-covers-tarpaulins/halfords-all-seasons-car-cover-medium

Or should I be looking at spending more?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swanny

posted on 25/1/18 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
a guy i know built a packing case type structure in the front of his house.
just big enough to push the car in and pull it out. didnt look pretty but worked well.

anthony1

posted on 25/1/18 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
car cover....

Stormforce outdoor car cover........some on ebay at £139 ish.....not cheap , but really nice quality and tailored to fit. I keep my MK in the garage and have an indoor cover.......ex Lotus Exige......not a tailored fit but keeps the dust off !! I had an outdoor cover ( Stormforce ) for my MX5 which was great.
jps

posted on 25/1/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skirrow
Thanks fellas! In that case, the next question is which cover?

Is this sort of thing any good? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-covers-tarpaulins/halfords-all-seasons-car-cover-medium

Or should I be looking at spending more?

I know it's not the one you have linkted to - but I have one of this type: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-covers-tarpaulins/halfords-car-cover-medium which I use to keep a tintop which is a long term (i.e. not started for ages!) covered up. I would say it is fairly rubbish - not waterproof in anyway and plenty of dust gets washed through overtime. At best it keeps the green algae stuff off.

I think if i were to store my kit outside long term i'd be looking to fabricate some sort of tunnel tent type arrangement - basically the "packing case type structure" Swanny suggests but with some kind of fabric rather than solid sheeting. If you can keep rain off from the top and allow air movement through you should be OK.

Is building a carport an option for you?

WallerZero

posted on 25/1/18 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Kept my Zero outside under a halfords cover for nearly 2 years. No issues other than being caught in the rain and throwing the cover onto the hot exhaust haha!

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

Skirrow

posted on 25/1/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers! It's a rented property so any buildings / structures are out really.

There is a stable which I intend to use at some point but it needs the door widening and some other work doing in there, and plus it's full to the brim with stuff at the moment.

The car cover is only a temporary solution until I can sort the stable out but... weeks become months and months become years so I decided I should probably treat it as indefinite.

Stormforce looking like a good option at the moment

perksy

posted on 25/1/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Worth also considering Hamilton Classic covers

They are well rated and a mate has a couple of Classic MG's and rates then highly

luke2152

posted on 25/1/18 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I rate the halfords one. But get the small not medium one and it is a good fit for a 7. Make sure you let the exhaust cool a few minutes before you put the cover on or it will melt right through.
Slater

posted on 25/1/18 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
How about a car tent?

Link to Amazon

140 quid for 3m x 6m Tent on Amazon.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Skirrow

posted on 25/1/18 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
With the wind that has been battering my house over the past few weeks, I think I'd end up with a kite instead of a tent. Look pretty good but my place seems to get a lot of wind.

Just ordered the Stormforce cover. Hoping it's a tight enough fit so that that doesn't fly away

[Edited on 25/1/18 by Skirrow]

paul1087

posted on 25/1/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-CAR-COVER-MINI-MG-STORAGE-GARAGE-BARN-MOTORCYCLE-CAR-FOLDING-SHED-BIKE/311406662670?epid=1856131592&hash=item48 8148940e:g:aNoAAOSw-wJZ-c-u

I've just bought one of these.

I'ye yet to assemble it, but it looks to be good quality.

I bought my car in December and have been storing it outdoors using the Halfords premium breathable cover.

Seems a few people (on the reviews) have used these on 7's and are quite happy - for me the convenience of just being able to roll it in and out is much better, and will hopefully keep it a bit drier .

Even the waterproof/breathable cover lets through a bit of moisture.

CosKev3

posted on 25/1/18 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would put a couple of moisture traps in the car before putting the cover on,just to absorb any moisture inside the cover.

Also get a couple of thin straps long enough to go under the car and over top,just for peace of mind the cover won't take off!

benchmark51

posted on 25/1/18 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote

Mine lived here for 3 years, sold the car now though

[Edited on 25/1/18 by benchmark51]

pewe

posted on 25/1/18 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
My hairdressers lives outside without any major problems.
I bought a cheappo fleabay tyvek type cover and a cheapo waterproof, breathable cover to go on top of the tyvek one.
It means that the majority of water is fended off by the waterproof one and the tyvek one keeps damp and moisture at bay.
Total cost about £50 and I've had 3 waterproof ones and one tyvek one in 5 years.
Only slight problem is the waterproof one is fairly thin and prone to tear if you pull it too much, plus UV? takes its toll turning it brittle .
I attach both buy folding around the body corners and using spring clips to sandwich them against the body.
Cheapo tent type garages are just not worth it. Tried one which was proof up to 50 mph winds. About 3 days after I erected it we had 65 mph winds overnight and I ended up chasing the tangled remains down the street first thing next morning!!
Cheers, Pewe10

pekwah1

posted on 25/1/18 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
is it road legal?
I ask just so you've though about insurance - my last two insurers have insisted on the car being garaged as part of the policy..... just a thought in case anything happens....

Skirrow

posted on 25/1/18 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Liking the box benchmark!

It's not currently road legal as insurance, tax and MOT expired in Nov and I've not renewed them so I'll just immobilise it by taking something important off it. Hoping by spring/summer I'll have a more permanent and cosy home for it but so busy with work and stuff that it's the last thing on my mind at the moment. Which I'm ashamed to say...

plutos3

posted on 25/1/18 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had a stormforce for my MGF. I also have realy strong wind as I live on the coast. I would suggest some extra straps as the wind ditroyed my cover
benchmark51

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's not currently road legal as insurance, tax and MOT expired in Nov and I've not renewed them so I'll just immobilise it by taking something important off it. Hoping by spring/summer I'll have a more permanent and cosy home for it but so busy with work and stuff that it's the last thing on my mind at the moment. Which I'm ashamed to say...

Made it out of leftover box section and galvanised sheets. Have seen similar made from wood and covered in roof felt, so can be done quite cheap. Also saved me £40 pm garage rent!

[Edited on 25/1/18 by benchmark51]

davidinhull

posted on 27/1/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Please note
My kitcar lived quite happily under a storm force cover on the drive
Parked just about touching a wall at the back, and the tintop parked right in front of it
Theiving toe rags picked it up moved it sideways onto next doors Drive, and rolled it away!
Furtunatly a neighbor saw them, and they abandoned it half way down the street ( took the cover though!)
So when you say immobilise, May I suggest wheel clamps or similar
It’s now in the garage with cctv covering the door

johnH20

posted on 28/1/18 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Hamilton Classic. Kept my Elise outside for seven years. Still use the cover for my kit when occasionally outside ( normally on trailer for an early morning track day start ).
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 3/2/18 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi,
If you ever did have any issues with insurance for an un-garaged vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. We have schemes that can cater for this.
Regards,
Dan.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.