Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a discount at B&Q
smart51

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a discount at B&Q

I want to buy a grands worth of stuff at B&Q, mostly timber. I don't want to pay full price as you can imagine. Their TradePoint cards are only for people who can prove that they're in the trade. I'm not. Is there another way of getting a discount from them?
sdh2903

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
You have a pm
smart51

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
You have a pm

Ta!

jps

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Surely cheaper to buy timber from either a local independent woodyard or somewhere like Wickes or Travis Perkins?
ianhurley20

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would say have a look around the internet - I found a company based near me that delivers nationally where I bought £1400 worth of wood for a timber framed extension I have just finished, very good prices indeed and I also have access to trade accounts at a number of building product suppliers

James24785

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a B&Q tradepoint card and I'm yet to find anything it offers decent discount on. Most the time there is zero difference in price.

As said, google your local timberyard. You'll get better quality, better service, and for probably almost 50% of the cost.

When I did my garden I used my local timberyard, but I ran out of something and rushed down to b&q as I wanted it there and then on a Sunday afternoon. Couldn't believe the price difference!

smart51

posted on 20/5/18 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wickes is hardly any cheaper. I've tried a couple of timber yards. The best is just under 20% cheaper. The trouble is time. None of the yards could guarantee a morning delivery. I could spend the day waiting until 5pm. With B&Q I can have the stuff on site by 8am and have a full day putting it together. Also, they'll rip the 8x4 sheets to size which will save me a job. With a bit of a discount, it is worth it.

Does their trade card not give a discount across the board?

sdh2903

posted on 20/5/18 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
No fraid not. It's a weird setup. If you ordered a good chunk and it was delivered straight to site then they'd source it from a timber supplier at timber yard prices. But if it's all stuff off the shop floor then the price difference isn't that big. Best to go to the trade desk and ask for the supervisor/manager and say "want to buy this amount of £££ of timber what can you do for me?" If they're chasing a sales target for the week you can usually wangle a bit more out of them.
James24785

posted on 20/5/18 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
No it's not, it's mainly electrical and plumbing I think.
It usually goes like this....

"That's £34.87 please"

Hands over trade point card

"That's still £34.87 please"

I don't even bother with it anymore

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/5/18 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You do get 10% off kitchens..... just fitted one.
Yes, odd setup. I am trade, but I found anywhere will give you a trade discount if you have a business card. I got some off vistaprint, everybodies attitude in stores/counters changed.

(I did hear on the grapevine B+Q were going to drop tradepoint altogether, but nothing has changed yet. The wickes discount is at least consistent)

perksy

posted on 20/5/18 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Tradepoint card but as said above its always worth shopping around and comparing prices

The discount can add up on some things but you don't get it on everything

Handy being able to order online and getting it delivered to site though

adam1985

posted on 20/5/18 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a trade point card but never got anything discounted using it.
I now have a b and q club card( anyone can sign up there normally just by the tills) every time you use the card they email you a different voucher. I.e. £5 off when you spend £25, or £10 off when you spend £50. They say they're one use only but I've used them multiple times.

Last week I went to buy paint £56 used a £10 off voucher if spend £50
Put paint in car went back in and brought tile adhesive etc £58 used same voucher and saved another £10.

I wouldn't do that for £1000 worth though you would be there all day

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/5/18 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have BnQ trade card and it is very strange the things that they discount. It’s a bit like the Halfords trade card which doesn’t work on lots of the essentials. If you think of it as a device for bringing prices to trade levels you are on the right lines.
Wickes give 10% on everything which is more consistent but also more limited range to choose from regularly they offer 15% for one day only which can be worth looking out for quite handy for diy stuff too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Smoking Frog

posted on 21/5/18 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
There's the diamond discount card for the elderly which saves 10% on a Wednesday. Although I agree with most, try somewhere else.
nick205

posted on 21/5/18 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
For timber (and most things) I use other places.

A good local sawmill will often have a better choice and deliver it to you as well.

miskit

posted on 21/5/18 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Also timber quality is significantly better from Travis Perkins (possibly other too but I use TP) as well as MUCH cheaper as their store managers have a good bit of autonomy.
nick205

posted on 22/5/18 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
Also timber quality is significantly better from Travis Perkins (possibly other too but I use TP) as well as MUCH cheaper as their store managers have a good bit of autonomy.

Excellent points

I've found timber from B&Q, Homebase etc. is often poor quality - warped and twisted. Found myself laying on the floor to see how straight it is before making any purchases there.

I've also found staff in my local Jewson have uite a bit more actual product knowledge than B&Q and Homebase.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've gone into Jewsons in the past and told them that I wanted a large quantity of timber, and asked for a bulk discount. They didn't bat an eye, and knocked quite a lot off the bill.

[Edited on 22/5/18 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.