Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sikaflex use/storage
Slimy38

posted on 14/7/18 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex use/storage

I have just received a nice shiny tube of Sikaflex, but before I go and accidentally glue my fingers to my eyebrows, are there any practical tips for using and storing it? I have umpteen tubes of bathroom sealant that have dried up after the first 'squirt', I don't really fancy wasting half the tube just because I didn't store it properly.
40inches

posted on 14/7/18 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
A wrap of PTFE tape before you screw the cap on. Storing it in the fridge slows it down, but it does set in the tube even if not opened
Check the use by date before you buy.
ScrewFix are the cheapest

[Edited on 14-7-18 by 40inches]

theconrodkid

posted on 14/7/18 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
as above, it goes off super quick, even in the tube, wear disposable gloves or you will be a member of the black hand gang and no nookie for you for at least a week

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

kenton

posted on 14/7/18 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dab of grease on the threads when you screw the nozzle on. After use a smear of grease inside the tube where the plunger fits against the tube. seal the nozzle end too.
I,ve had tubes last for a year.

jelly head

posted on 16/7/18 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've unscrewed the nozzle, put some cling film over the end of the tube then screwed the nozzle back on, seemed to help slow down curing.
nick205

posted on 16/7/18 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
As above it does cure in the tube pretty quick. I've used the cling film approach, which helps, but not a great deal.

After a while I got into the habit of making sure I had a few jobs for it at a time so as to try and use most of a tube after opening it.

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/7/18 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have sealed the end with tape, and then popped the tube (nozzle down) in a tub of water. seems to last a couple of months, may need to pick out the nozzle a bit though.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.