Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin Top Insurance (drive any car)
ReMan

posted on 25/7/18 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tin Top Insurance (drive any car)

Any of you got daily driver insurance that (still) cover drive any car not belonging to you?
A lot of them have dropped it, (quietly).

My current insurer does, but I'm looking to get other quotes as its gone up again.
The compare sites rarely mantion this "feature" so any pointers welcome

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

tomduffield13

posted on 25/7/18 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Quote me happy definitely include this (3rd Party) as standard on their policies, I can't speak for other providers.

Edit: I assumed you were talking about 3rd party only - edited above.

[Edited on 25/7/18 by tomduffield13]

russbost

posted on 25/7/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's still on my Admiral policy - I believe they are all 3rd party only tho'. Not aware of anyone offering that as fully comp?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 25/7/18 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
It's still on my Admiral policy - I believe they are all 3rd party only tho'. Not aware of anyone offering that as fully comp?

Only if the car is already insured in someone elses name (but not covering you)

and even then third part only and also only in an emergency (or word to that effect)

thats how its been on most ones I've seen over the last ~20 years (and on my current tesco one) - but I know some companies aren't even offering that now....

-

ReMan

posted on 25/7/18 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its definitely disappearing, its important to check rather than assume

Mine is: "may also drive with the owners permission a motor car that is not
owned by or registered to, or hired, rented or leased to, them, their business partner or
their employer,"
So regardless, (though rare these days)of whether it is insured by the "lender".

Realistically it more for road testing a car fixed by the garage of Dad!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ravingfool

posted on 25/7/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
A Plan may be worth a call, although not necessarily cheaper for standard cars I've got my tintop insurance with them and have this cover (similar terms to your current policy).
nick205

posted on 25/7/18 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
The cover was taken off SWMBOs policy a couple of years ago. Can't say it made the policy prices drop though. Equally I can't say she ever made use of the cover by driving another vehicle. IIRC although her policy is fully comp on her own car the extra cover was only 3 party.

Health reasons mean I haven't had motor insurance for 4 years now so no idea how my own policy may or may not fair on this.

When I did have such cover I drove my brother in laws car a couple of times between our and his house - all of 2 miles.

[Edited on 25/7/18 by nick205]

Slimy38

posted on 25/7/18 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
We've seen it disappear a few times, mainly to try and make renewals look a bit more attractive. Although my last insurance policy they went so far as to drop my business cover in order to make my renewal look good. No doubt if I hadn't been paying attention and driven without insurance they'd have said something like 'oh, you should have checked your policy'.
steve m

posted on 25/7/18 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I discovered this problem purely by accident, as I was going to drive a friends car for a week, as he needed my estate car to help him move, and I found out, I am not insured on ANY other vehicle, except mine

and the best or worse, is they sure thing charge £90 to change a reg, and another £90 to change it back!

Friend hired a luton for 48 hours, for £30

I wont be making this mistake again

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SteveWalker

posted on 25/7/18 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cover for other cars is something I wouldn't be without. At various times I have borrowed my mother's or father's cars to be able to work when there has been a problem with mine (including a breakdown when I was due at a meeting 125 miles away and needed to be away for the week), have driven a friend's car so that they could have an unplanned drink or driven a friend or relative's car to diagnose a problem or check that a problem is resolved. This is the sort of cover that they should not be able to remove unilaterally - by all means offer a high price for default renewal with it and a second lower price for cover without it, but don't leave people liable to driving without insurance because they have removed it and people haven't noticed.
ianhurley20

posted on 26/7/18 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of people think that cover is third party when driving anothers car on your own insurance but what you will find is that the cover is actually the minimum required by law which is a lesser cover

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 26/7/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. We still have schemes that offer this benefits.
We also have the option of increasing the cover above the usual Third Party Only to £20,000 "Comprehensive type cover".
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/drive-any-car-insurance/
Regards,
Dan.

UncleFista

posted on 26/7/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hastings Direct.

"Driving other cars:
You're also covered to drive someone else's car if:
* You have the owner’s permission
* It's not owned by you or under a hire purchase or lease agreement
* It's covered by another insurance policy.
Other conditions apply – please see your car policy document for details.*"

[Edited on 26/7/18 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

AntonUK

posted on 26/7/18 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Him with HIC and they offered me an upgrade to drive any other car (as long as its insured by others etc0 up to 20k fully comp. IIRC it was only 12quid or so.

Perfect for us petrol heads who might borrow other peoples cars for varying reasons. Certainly puts the mind at ease.

Build Photos Here

ReMan

posted on 26/7/18 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
OK So the outcome was, with some backing here , that the incumbent insurer has dropped their rate to less than last year, rather than 12% increase.
So I've stayed with them.
I know many would have told them to sling their hook on principle, and i may have done , but I also believe in not cutting off my nose to spite my face, so this time I've remained, despite , quotes (hence the post) nearly £100 lessl
If I have more energy next year, I may look at an insurance refresh of the whole fleet as the whole thing is a big minefield with little trust of the insurers, in good time or bad imho
But if nothing else if it has highlighted this drive any car issue on here then thats a good thing

[Edited on 26/7/18 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 26/7/18 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
@Dan AF
Thank you.
Nothing personal, I've only ever been in touch with your company for the Kit insurance, which I took elsewhere previously.
Maybe next time, I have 6 different vehicles, which is a pain in itself

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.