Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ECOBOOST!
BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/11/18 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
ECOBOOST!

Hello Folks...

We are after a forward thinking, power hungry, Locost / Westfield, 7 type car owner who maybe interested in a full ECOBOOST conversion.

We have a new 1600 ECOBOOST engine which we are converting to port injection, custom inlet, 8 injector etc and will be ran on Megasquirt. As this will be a development project it will be cheap!

Anyone?

Cheers, Dale
Bailey Performance.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nero1701

posted on 30/11/18 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Dependent on where you are and how much it will cost, i've a spare in the garage.

[Edited on 30/11/18 by nero1701]

SteveRST

posted on 30/11/18 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dale,

I've got a Westfield running a zetec turbo lump, MS3 ecu, wideband, chargecooler. The old silver-top is sounding a bit noisy now - although it stubbornly refuses to die.
Obviously depends on costs

CosKev3

posted on 30/11/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dale
Engine bay is empty in my car ATM,but I have decided on what I'm fitting and have the Engine sat in my garage atm,typical.

How cheap though?

flanders

posted on 3/12/18 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Interested dependent on costs and projected timescales, Iv been wanting to go down the Ecoboost route for a while
BaileyPerformance

posted on 3/12/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
ECOBOOST! - more details open for discussion

Thanks for the interest folks, thought i'd better fill you all in of the what i have and would like to do / offer.

I purchased a brand new 1600 ecoboost about a year ago, complete with turbo, for a customer who intended to install in a Davrian rally car. This never happened.

After doing some research on the web and speaking to the local Ford dealer we got the impression Ford had a few issues with the Ecoboost, piston failures, over heating, noises. So we decided to totally strip the engine and see if we could work out why some of these engine give problems.

The first obvious concern was the amazingly tight bearing clearances, less than half what you would expect on a zetec for example, the engine is designed to run on 0W20 oil (which is like water) even so i'm guessing if your the sort of dude who thrashes his car from cold its going to pickup a bearing. We opened up clearances and this engine is now built for 10W40 oil.
Piston to bore clearance was what you would expect, so no issues there, pistons and rods look of good design.

The head looks great, a very posh 8 port inlet design, nice combustion chambers etc. Valve guides, valve train all looks good.

Seems the next issue is the direct injection, SBD and Jenvey did some development on these engines a couple of years ago, due to the way direct injection works (timing critical) they perform best running on the lean side, good for MPG maybe, bad for everything else. Very prone for detonation (most DI engines are) so Jenvey added 4 port injectors to overcome the issue. We have gone one step further and decided to convert to port injection and not use the DI.
As the engine will now use port injection we can use a conventional ECU, our favorite Megasquirt. We have added a 36-1 trigger wheel to the engines front pulley. The intention is to use 8 port injectors.

To keep things simple, we have removed the VVT and fitted a pair of vernier cam pulleys.

We are asking for £2000 for the engine and turbo, which is bloody cheap. Inlet (not made yet, as this will be made to suit the customers install) injectors, ECU all extra.

Cheers, Dale

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 11/12/18 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hello folks,

Ecoboost now sold, thanks for your interest.

Cheers, Dale

nero1701

posted on 11/12/18 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't actually realise it was a for sale post to begin with,
I though it looked like you were looking for someone with a car to help develop the engine

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nero1701
I didn't actually realise it was a for sale post to begin with,
I though it looked like you were looking for someone with a car to help develop the engine

ditto

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/12/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Folks,

In my post i said i wanted £2000 for the engine.
The customer and i will now work together to get it running.

Cheers, Dale

big_wasa

posted on 15/12/18 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I would love to see how you progress with it.
40inches

posted on 15/12/18 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

And the twin turbo AJ30

big_wasa

posted on 15/12/18 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh I would love to know if you have dropped the Cr. I know noble did with 1mm shorter Arrow con rods.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/12/18 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeh I would love to know if you have dropped the Cr. I know noble did with 1mm shorter Arrow con rods.

We had a cometic gasket made for it, lowers CR to around 9.5:1

BaileyPerformance

posted on 15/12/18 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

And the twin turbo AJ30

The Jag V6 planned for my own car, Saph cosworth, when i get around to it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.