Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front spindle diameter
designer

posted on 10/5/19 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Front spindle diameter

I'm not a structural engineer, and I know that most cars have large diameter front spindles, but is 11mm a big enough diameter for a small lightweight car?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR20

posted on 10/5/19 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a bit small to me, especially if that is the diameter at the upright!
russbost

posted on 10/5/19 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
To answer that you'd need to know how lightweight & what sort of grip or extreme forces are likely to be exerted, how large/wide are the wheels etc etc

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/19 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
11 mm is about the size of pushbike spindles, not sure I would want to rely on them holding a car up
steve m

posted on 10/5/19 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had 13mm spindles on a downhill cart, (pushbike wheels) and still thought I could of needed larger spindles

imho 11 mm, is for a toddlers trike

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 10/5/19 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
My push bikes have 10mm diameter axles. Strong enough for on and off road use, but no way I'd consider that diameter for a car.

Are you using parts from a donor vehicle and if so which one?

Are you fabricating the parts to your own or someone else's design, again if so can you share more details with us?

russbost

posted on 10/5/19 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
My point was really are we actually talking about a car, in which case way to small or are we actually talking about something like a cycle car?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
paulc

posted on 11/5/19 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
As another data point, the spindles on my motorbike are 20mm at the front, ans 17mm at the rear.

And they are supported at both sides of the wheel.

nick205

posted on 13/5/19 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulc
As another data point, the spindles on my motorbike are 20mm at the front, ans 17mm at the rear.

And they are supported at both sides of the wheel.

Good point - my Ø10mm push bike wheel axles are also supported both sides of the wheel either by the front forks or the cycle frame at the frear.

Motor car spindles are typically only single sided so need to be greater diameter/stonger.

(As above, assuming we're talking about motor car spindles)

nick205

posted on 13/5/19 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mountian bike (push bike) axle diameters have increased in recent years up to Ø13mm+. With the aim of increasing rigidity of the assembly.

To add to this, I believe this is where front suspension forks have increased in travel length and designers are aiming to stiffen things up a bit at the point where the wheel attaches to the sliding section of the front fork. Equally the fork manufacturers have and are increasing the diameter of the upper (static) and lower (sliding) suspension forks, again to increase rigidity. The goal being to allow the suspension elements to work better with less mechanical flex around them.

[Edited on 13/5/19 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.