Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: arch stays breaking, new design
andy188

posted on 29/8/19 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
arch stays breaking, new design

Arch stays broke again today, is there another design out here, or shall I remake out off thicker materials, I seem to be reweld these ever year, your thoughts appreciated,
mcerd1

posted on 29/8/19 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
which uprights are they for / got any pics of your current ones showing were they break ?

just making them thicker will probably help, but its not necessarily the best answer - stiffening key area's, removing stress concentrations and making them from better / tougher material (not all steel is made equal) could give you a better all round design

[Edited on 29/8/2019 by mcerd1]

-

andy188

posted on 29/8/19 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

They are of Haynes design on sierra hubs, they are breaking close to the fixing posns on the bottom ball joint fixing and the top stub posn,

40inches

posted on 29/8/19 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't had any problems with the MK supplied ones.
I changed the flat strip for tubular fitting.
Description
Description
Description
Description

Just read your last post. Here are a couple of photos of the MK fixing brackets.
Description
Description
Description
Description

[Edited on 29-8-19 by 40inches]

andy188

posted on 29/8/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Great, Thanks for the photos, yeh the brackets going to ball joint etc are thicker than mine,

Looks like ill beef them up a bit, spoke to some off the guys at work, ive had a back back, so we softened the ride up, could be its too soft, allowing more movement off the arch, (vibrating, over bumps). Busy weekend ahead.

russbost

posted on 29/8/19 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I always use flat strip for arch stay fabrication, tube is too rigid & will tend to crack over time due to vibration (it's also relatively thin wall usually), using 5mm thick 25 or 30mm wide strip I've never had a stay break

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 29/8/19 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
There is always Plan B... absolutely no cracking after quite a few years of Suffolk roads. Prior to this mod the stays broke about 3 times.

The best bit is going to car shows and watching people trying to work out how I did it...

Details of this can be found on my web site (see WWW link below).

[Edited on 29/8/19 by David Jenkins]

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 30/8/19 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

My first ones broke very quickly too.

So I remade new ones with thicker steel strips (4mm) and tubes, welded on a larger triangular bottom plate, bolted at the bottom of the Sierra upright. Then same system as the book for the upper attach point on the upright.

They are not vibrating at all, they are very steady, and I never had any problem since.

The construction is detailed on my blog here:

http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2015/04/nouveaux-sup ports-dailes-avant-new.html#ancre1

Change the language on the top left column, it will be google translated. Not perfect, but understandable enough.

Hop that will help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.