Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Formula 27
gaosborne

posted on 31/10/19 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Formula 27

When I was in England this year, I bought a Formula 27 that had been sitting in a barn. I stripped the car back to basics, discarded most of the body, sand blasted the better parts and had them powder coated. The parts were then shipped back here to U.S. Building will commence next week with filling in all the missed drilled holes on the chassis. By missed drilled I mean off center not spaced correctly, etc. Then on to reassembly with new and repaired parts. After everything is test fitted the car will be taken a part again and frame will be powder coated. Then reassembled and aluminum body work done. Plan is to make it like Series 2 Lotus, with Aluminum Body and probably only nose cone made out of Fiberglass. No windshield but Brookland aero screens etc. But will have a Roll bar. My question to all of you reading this is, I would like to get a copy of the original plans for the Formula 27 but I can't locate designer builder. If anyone out there has a set they would like to sell or if they have any information as to the where abouts of designer I would appreciate you contacting me. Oh yes, engine will be Austin 1275 through 4 speed ribbed gearbox (transmission) with Cortina rear Diff. Thanks for any help
steve m

posted on 31/10/19 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I can not answer your questions, however, I have had a Formula 27, and the chassis is HEAVY
And buy heavy i mean, probably 3 or possibly 4 times heavier than a Locost, as i used to have, picture left
and we are talking about the chassis, not everything else

A 1275 engine, would not have the power to get the car off a driveway,

IMHO It needs a minimum of a 2 litre

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ali f27

posted on 1/11/19 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi i have the drawings somewhere and am happy to send you a copy this might take a day or 2 as i am very busy with work my car is no heavier than the other sevens we have built so 1275 A Series with a bit of tune would be fine a classic cooper s would be about the same weight so theres your perfomance mark
ali f27

posted on 1/11/19 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just read last comment again three or 4 times heavier would be approaching 2 tonne so not really true
gaosborne

posted on 1/11/19 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
That would be great if you could send me plans. I probably should of put in my message that I am not looking to build a speed demon car. I have had my fill of high performance cars in my life and I just want something to drive around town and have fun with. No racing. As far as weight I was thinking I should be able to keep the car down to around 1000 pounds. Considering my AH Sprite is 1500 pounds with same engine I figure performance should be near enough equal. As far as fun factor that needs to be determined.
SPYDER

posted on 1/11/19 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
1000 lbs is about 450kgs and is an ambitious target for a Formula 27 build.
Craigib76

posted on 22/7/20 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of a resurrection here but my formula 27 is 450kg’s running a fireblade engine
I have had it weighed and corner weighted

Regards Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.