Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home PSC printer and ink recommendations
Slater

posted on 7/11/19 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Home PSC printer and ink recommendations

Good day
I'm looking to buy a new home printer, just a basic PSC (print/scan/copy) that will do A4 B&W/colour and print on photographic paper too.
printing volume is quite minimal, say 20-30 pages/month.

The thing that I find frustrating is the ink cartridge costs.
I've had HP printers in the past and will probably go with same brand, but do you have any advice on basic home printers and ink cartridges?

Our current printer is HP deskjet 2050 from South Africa, getting genuine HP cartridges for this in UK is difficult, we've tried non HP ink cartridges, but it refuses to recognise them despite us doing all the fixes like leaving it unplugged for 15 mins and cleaning the terminals.

HP seem to have an instant ink thing where you pay a monthly fee and the printer somehow orders it's own ink when it gets low. WTF is that all about?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Slimy38

posted on 7/11/19 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I avoid any printers that will only accept their brand ink. I know why they do it, but that doesn't excuse them charging 7-8 times the price of unbranded cartridges. It's especially relevant with low volume printing, as I print similar numbers of pages as you, and spend a good portion of my time running cleaning cycles which uses up ink.

As for the whole PSC idea, I went for a basic flatbed scanner and a separate printer. The standalone scanner was cheaper, better quality, and it meant I could do things that weren't paper, for example passport scans. Then I could save money on the printer as well. The scanner is USB powered and about the size of a ream of A4 paper, so not really an inconvenience.

perksy

posted on 7/11/19 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a standalone scanner and a lazer printer

We did a few years ago and haven't looked back

nick205

posted on 7/11/19 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Canon Pixma TR4550 PSC does fine for my family of 5 at home. £40 from Currys PC World with ink and it'll accept unbranded ink cartridges as well. We probably print 30-40 sheets a month, easy to setup and it works wirelessly which is handy (1 PC an 3 laptops in the house). Not tried it, but I believe you can print from mobiles and tablets to it as well. Scanning is perfectly OK for home use and it's nice and compact having it all in one unit.

Ink2u is my online choice of supplier for ink cartridges, they do branded and unbranded at reasonable prices.

SteveWalker

posted on 7/11/19 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
We have used Epson, Brother and HP inkjet printers over the years, finding the ink expensive and the heads prone to clogging if not used for a few weeks. These days we use a colour laser printer that will work perfectly no matter how long it has sat idle and is far cheaper per page in the long term (although toner cartridges do seem horrendously pricey until you look at how long they'll last you). For good quality prints of a few photos, we just nip to the supermarket and use the photo-printers there.
furryeggs

posted on 8/11/19 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
I got a RICOH one off facebook market place for £10. 2 years old and perfect working order, cartridges are about £30 for the 4 . you can get reusable ones that you can refill yourself £40 for a kit that does about 5-6 refills.

posted on 8/11/19 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've had an HP. Excellent photo quality but expensive ink.

Next came an Epson. Bought because it was cheapest for ink, but a year later it sucked two sheets of paper through at once and broke a tooth on the drive roller.

I now have a Canon Pixma MP492. Had it several years now and easily the best of the three.

Paul G

40inches

posted on 8/11/19 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I've had an HP. Excellent photo quality but expensive ink.

Next came an Epson. Bought because it was cheapest for ink, but a year later it sucked two sheets of paper through at once and broke a tooth on the drive roller.

I now have a Canon Pixma MP492. Had it several years now and easily the best of the three.

Paul G

Got a Canon MG2550S for about £25 a couple of years ago, best 3 in 1 I have ever had.
Genuine cartridges are reasonably cheap from cartridgesave.co.uk.

Slater

posted on 8/11/19 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, some good points there, time to do some more research....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Paul M

posted on 8/11/19 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hp with Instant ink - used it for 3 years and very happy- very cheap to run, reliable service
would never go back to buying either gen or non gen cartidges

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.