Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine number
Clive skuse

posted on 17/2/20 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Engine number

Hi everyone I am new to this forum not sue if I am doing this right. My problem is that I purchased a new Zetec engine from gts tuning back in 2006 at the Exeter kit car show , now after the build stalling for a few years I am getting near Iva time but have not got a engine no stamped on the block. I phoned fords but they can’t issue a no because they can’t prove the engine age and suggest l contact the supplier, I have tried to call gts with the number on the invoice but it will not connect. Has anyone got a upto date number for them. If not does anyone know how I can get a engine number,
Thanks Clive

Clive r skuse

Bluemoon

posted on 17/2/20 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Get scrap Zetec block and copy over number?

Ford replacement engines come with out engine number as supposed to replace existing engine. The number is copied as old engine is scrapped..

Dan

pekwah1

posted on 17/2/20 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Firstly i assume this is a blacktop engine?
If so, you will need a CAT to pass the IVA test in any case, from having a quick check in the manual i found this:

“Effective Date”
The “effective date” used to determine the criteria applicable is -
the date of manufacture of the vehicle, except for an “Amateur Built” vehicle, a “Vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle” or a “Rebuilt vehicle” it
shall be 1 January immediately preceding the date of manufacture of the vehicle’s engine if this is earlier.
If the “effective date” cannot be determined, it must be assumed to be on or after 1 August 1997.

You will be able to prove the latest date of when the blacktop zetec was produced until and so should be able to use this date which would still effectively have the same emissions rules unless i'm mistaken.

I believe GTS finally stopped trading so you likely won't be able to do much there, otherwise i guess if you really need an engine code it will be to get another engine.... if that engine disappeared but the engine number ended up stamped on yours....... you get where i'm going

gremlin1234

posted on 17/2/20 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
its quite normal for a ford replacement engine to have no number. it is supposed to take the number from the one it is replacing.
if you have the paperwork for your doner car, you could take the number from there

else, it wouldn't be the first engine recorded with number 1342. (the firing order often stamped on some engines...)

edit
the original engine number should be the last two letters and final numbers of the vin
https://view.publitas.com/burtonpower/2020-catalogue-booklet/page/12-13

if you don't have the vin of the doner, we maybe able to find it from the registration number

[Edited on 17/2/20 by gremlin1234]

mcerd1

posted on 17/2/20 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Get scrap Zetec block and copy over number?

Ford replacement engines come with out engine number as supposed to replace existing engine. The number is copied as old engine is scrapped..

^^ what he said

Also change the timing belt before you use it
even if its never run they need changed at 10 years - some folk found out the hard way

-

Clive skuse

posted on 17/2/20 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Engine no

Thanks for advice good tip to replace timing belt , the engine is a replacement for a pinto engine so don’t know if I could use the no from that. I might have a chat with my local engine builder to see if they have a scrap block that I can use.

Clive r skuse

gremlin1234

posted on 17/2/20 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clive skuse
Thanks for advice good tip to replace timing belt , the engine is a replacement for a pinto engine so don’t know if I could use the no from that. I might have a chat with my local engine builder to see if they have a scrap block that I can use.
how are you planning on registering your build?
age related?
Q?
or new?

kingster996

posted on 18/2/20 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
The IVA inspector will almost certainly know that a Blacktop Zetec wasn’t fitted to a Sierra and thus can’t be from the 80’s. So you can’t just use a pinto engine number and hope it gets tested as a pinto aged engine.

Crate Zetec engines were made no later than around 2004 so that’s what I’d put as engine age. Proving that might be more difficult, but maybe call your local test centre and ask.

It will then get a “basic emissions test” with a CAT. Can’t recall the figures but fairly easy to pass as long as you are fuel injected and fit a cat.

[Edited on 18/2/20 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Clive skuse

posted on 18/2/20 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by Clive skuse
how are you planning on registering your build?
age related?
Q?
or new?

I think it will be a Q plate

Clive r skuse

Clive skuse

posted on 18/2/20 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
The IVA inspector will almost certainly know that a Blacktop Zetec wasn’t fitted to a Sierra and thus can’t be from the 80’s. So you can’t just use a pinto engine number and hope it gets tested as a pinto aged engine.

Create Zetec engines were made no later than around 2004 so that’s what I’d put as engine age. Proving that might be more difficult, but maybe call your local test centre and ask.

It will then get a “basic emissions test” with a CAT. Can’t recall the figures but fairly easy to pass as long as you are fuel injected and fit a cat.

Thanks I thought that would be the case, have had the engine tuned for mot standard

Clive r skuse

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.