Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VIN number
wonderfulweasel

posted on 27/4/20 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
VIN number

Has anyone applied for a new VIN number for their chassis recently? How long does it usually take for them to use one?

I've written to K&R to apply. I'm expecting it to take a little longer than usual at the moment, but it would be useful to know roughly how long it usually is!

gremlin1234

posted on 27/4/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a note from dvla, essentially saying they are not accepting things by post except for limited circumstances.
you probably need to ask 'electronically'

quote:

Help us to help key workers and do not send in paper applications to DVLA until further notice.

In line with the government’s advice we have a very limited number of staff on-site who are only dealing with applications from those who are directly involved in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are not accepting any other paper applications.

Please only use our online services, which are all currently available at gov.uk/browse/driving

edit, fuller background from verifyable source
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update

[Edited on 27/4/20 by gremlin1234]

wonderfulweasel

posted on 27/4/20 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, thanks. I hadn't spotted that. That clears up that I won't be getting one imminently!

I've not found an email address to use to apply for a VIN number, hence the letter. 🙁

snippy

posted on 27/4/20 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Oh bugger, wish I`d seen that. I sent off my logbook and lots of documentary evidence to change my engine number. Guess I`ll be waiting some time then.
spiderman01980

posted on 27/4/20 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
Oh bugger, wish I`d seen that. I sent off my logbook and lots of documentary evidence to change my engine number. Guess I`ll be waiting some time then.

What do you have to send off? I've taken the hayabusa engine from a bike I own. Would I need to send both V5s, the kitcar and bike to prove ownership of the engine .

snippy

posted on 27/4/20 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you will need to send both.

The DVLA website says :
You must give DVLA evidence or written confirmation if you make any of the following changes to your vehicle. Your V5C update will be rejected if you do not.

Change of engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)
You need to provide either:

- a receipt for the replacement engine
- written evidence from the manufacturer
- an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
- written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

So you only need to show one of these. I`ve upgraded to a Zetec over winter and used an engine I had removed from a Mondeo I purchased years ago. The car was scrapped a long time ago but I`ve sent them proof of my purchase of the car together with my Kit`s V5 for the change to be applied. I`ve also sent some extra bits such as photo`s of the engine number and physical swap over and also proof of engine age. It won`t alter the tax band for me so no issues there. I`ve probably sent them too much but I`d sooner they have the full picture to get it all sorted quicker.

gremlin1234

posted on 27/4/20 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
... I`ve probably sent them too much but I`d sooner they have the full picture to get it all sorted quicker.
I hope you took copies of these docs before you sent them

snippy

posted on 27/4/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes always do. Scanned them and posted it recorded delivery too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.