Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big 6 asbestos pointers
number-1

posted on 19/6/20 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Big 6 asbestos pointers

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some clear plastic, grp etc corrugated sheets that will fit over the old asbestos roof? The profile of the old roof is called Big 6. So 6 inch between peaks. Mine is old and leaks so will cut the J clips, overlay with the correct profile clear plastic so i can see the old holes.....drill and refit new J clips

Cheers all

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/6/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/roof-sheets/industrial-grp-rooflights-sheets/big-six-1.html
any good?

coyoteboy

posted on 19/6/20 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I sent mine off for testing, not worth the risk for 30 quid.

number-1

posted on 19/6/20 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Sent what off for testing? And whats not worth the risk? Im over roofing the current roof and not removing

SteveWalker

posted on 19/6/20 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
quote:

Sent what off for testing? And whats not worth the risk? Im over roofing the current roof and not removing

Even if you were removing the old roof. Just keeping it wet, not breaking it up and double bagging it before taking it to your local authority's designated site is all that is required. Roofing sheets are very low risk, as long as you don't break them up or saw them.

Shooter63

posted on 19/6/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I think he might be talking about the you drilling holes in your existing roof, as you are no doubt aware, there are many types of asbestos some a lot more deadly than others

Shooter

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/6/20 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
quote:
quote:

I think he might be talking about the you drilling holes in your existing roof, as you are no doubt aware, there are many types of asbestos some a lot more deadly than others

Shooter

I think the blue is worst thing is an old myth from years ago. I worked as an asbestos tester back in the late 80's, they will all kill you and it is almost impossible to tell what type you have without testing. Just assume it is out to get you and WILL cause a long nasty death if you don't show it respect.
Yes, concrete bound asbestos, like the asbestos in older plasterboard and indeed Artex up until late 80's is OK to remove, just no power tools, no sanding, and if breaking it keep it damp. Wash clothing twice, and then run an empty wash though the machine (yes, people died because their clothing got fibres from the previous wash load) Better to use disposable suits.

An alternative to over-sheeting could be to either fibreglass or even Acrypol. But best is removal and re-roofing. I think you can hire a skip for asbestos sheeting etc.

number-1

posted on 20/6/20 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh Shooter yes i see what Coyoteboy meant now.

I dont plan to drill new holes in the current roof. The plan will be when i remove the old J clips, i will reuse the existing hole and only have to drill the new clear plastic sheets. Thats why i will use clear sheets, so i see the old holes. Then fit new J clips.

kenton

posted on 20/6/20 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
What your proposing will be a nightmare to carry out. Where the big 6 overlaps between each row there are 4 thicknesses of sheet with the underneath ones mitered across the corner where they butt up. Even with the hook bolts removed it will be a real pain to slide the translucent sheets into the join.
Legally you ARE allowed to remove it yourself if you follow the guidelines. I'm assuming the roof is cracking in the valley of the sheets? Temporary fix could be flexable roof repair, like thick tar with fibers in. The washers under the hook bolt nuts always perish and leak, worth checking thats not where the waters coming in. Good luck

v8kid

posted on 21/6/20 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Local Authority in my case were very helpful only requiring me to double bag it and mark ASBESTOS. One hell of a lot of bags though and its a slow job spraying with water and breaking up to fit. it took me nearly 2 days to dispose of a single garage sized roof between packaging and transporting in a car trailer. if you use a van the LA here deem you to be a trader and require all sorts of paperwork and eye watering fees.

Having said that it was well worth it as we sold the house and it would have shown up as a negative on the home report had it remained. Buyers Solicitors are quick to spot something to use as a leverage to reduce the price at the last moment.

Been there. Just get rid of it.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.