Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot bits on exhaust for IVA
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/8/20 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hot bits on exhaust for IVA

Going through the IVA manual I'm struggling to find what are the rules for the hot headers and pipe coming out the side of the car... yeah the silencer needs a guard but what about the hot pipes, should I wrap them or fit some guard to them too??

Ta

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 14/8/20 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the rules, but logically there should be no need to cover them. The silencer is a risk when getting in or out, especially if you are off balance and can't move quickly off it, the rest of the exhaust, less so.

While touching other parts of the exhaust could give a bad burn, you would naturally pull away and minimise harm.

The main risk of serious harm would be someone being held against it (such as being trapped by part of the car after being run over), but that is the same as for someone being trapped under a normal car, where no covering is needed.

adithorp

posted on 14/8/20 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
There's not requirements for exhaust heat protection, just usual edge radius requirements. A guard was in the initial IVA proposals but was dropped from the regs' before they were introduced.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/8/20 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
perfect thanks
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 14/8/20 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Reminds me of the 3" diameter 'bubble' on Steve "laserman"'s ankle when he brushed/stepped against the silencer of his upon arriving at a WLM meet!

I guess they're no worse than a motorbike exhaust but I can see some kid touching or falling against it which worries me a little. I know someone'll say: "well that'll teach 'em for touching it" but I don't really want to see a child scarred for life!

J

[Edited on 14/8/20 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SteveWalker

posted on 14/8/20 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've been there. Aged about 6, I "straightened-up" the wonky exhaust on a generator set. My hand was very painfully burned and I ended up with a massive blister covering my palm and 5 full-length blisters right along my fingers and thumb. Sleeping was difficult for a few nights, but it healed perfectly within weeks.
jelly head

posted on 14/8/20 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yep as above, i didn't have my pipe wrapped for the IVA and while it passed the tester did comment that i would be a sensible idea to do it i case a "young kid ran up to the car to have a look" and fried themselves..

[Edited on 15/8/20 by jelly head]

ianhurley20

posted on 15/8/20 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I fully wrapped my cat and exhaust pipe including the parts under the bonnet, made me feel safer and reduced under bonnet temps. The silencer was a hefty stainless straight through one that never seemed to get that hot surprisingly - even after a 100 mile blast!

ReMan

posted on 15/8/20 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
As above, sharp and pointy bad, smooth and burny OK

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/20 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah all good points and I have two small kids myself...

I shall wrap the whole thing before the IVA

Fozzo

posted on 16/8/20 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know where to purchase Cat and Exhaust shields as above? I see Kitcar Direct have stopped doing them.
coyoteboy

posted on 17/8/20 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Took 3 years for the scar on my leg to subside after I leaned against a mates motorbike exhaust tip when I overbalanced near it - definitely worth the effort to cover, especially if you get interested little people climbing on/near it.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/8/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I once parked up my JBA Falcon to go to Autosave only to come back to about 5 kids climbing all over the car, they even had the bonnet up! then an argument with them about how they could not stand on the running boards while I drove up the road!

Just checked and yes I still have that oval scar on my right arm from burning it on that down pipe that was a blister too

Fully wrapped it is...

[Edited on 17/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

40inches

posted on 4/10/20 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzo
Anyone know where to purchase Cat and Exhaust shields as above? I see Kitcar Direct have stopped doing them.

A bit late, but the cheapest place to get exhaust shields is direct from Caterham
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.