Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engineery type gift ideas
Benzine

posted on 27/8/20 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Engineery type gift ideas

My son is turning 11 soon and I'm looking for present ideas. Looked at Mamod steam engine models and the prices were any ideas on a similar theme but more locost?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 27/8/20 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Theres various hot air and steam engines on ebay that appear to be chinese made but look quite nice ,mamod engines seem to fetch a premium but not particularly special.Otherwise there are a few plastic motorised ic engine kits available.
Paul.

JC

posted on 28/8/20 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
Can't go wrong with Meccano as far as I'm concerned - the proper metal stuff that is!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 28/8/20 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I started with Meccano and moved into Engineering via building an aged Land Rover,..

I had Mamod stationary engines too, everything that smells of hot oil is good

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/8/20 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
yeah my first thought was a steam engine, something that can be put in a boat too would be nice. How about a RC plane? Saying that 11 years old, big lego kit use to be my thing, the stuff is amazing these days.
swanny

posted on 28/8/20 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
RC car/jeep kit? put it together, run it, take it apart and upgrade it?
steve m

posted on 28/8/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Condoms, oops, wrong thread

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 28/8/20 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Condoms, oops, wrong thread

10 minute site ban !!!

Jason

steve m

posted on 28/8/20 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was being half serious !!

However, i grew up with Scalextric, Lego and Meccano, and all three, were fantastic inspirational toys, yet kids today just want to play
on tablets, and fighting games,

Anything R/c is great fun, but is addictive, and can be very expensive
I did the cars and boats in my teens, and R/C planes when i was 42, and loved it, and spent around 10k over a couple of years

The problem with R/c planes, Helis or even drones, is the space needed, also when Dad or another responsible adult is not there
The kids will try it on their own, and it will end up in tears, and probably a hefty bill from a neighbour when a plane goes through
there beloved cars windscreen !!!

i know this for a fact, as one of our club members came home from work to find his 1/4 scale piper cub inplanted into a neighbours car
200 yards away, and incredibly NO ONE knew how it got there, as the kids were at school ???

The alibi didnt stand up, as the school confirmed that none of the kids 3 or 4 of them, had been at school that day

We were all kids , well some still are!, and what ever you decide to get your 11 yr old, have a good think, of what you would or could of
done with the item when you were 11 ??

What ever my Grandparents were thinking when they got me a chemisty set. i was about 11/12
I could go into details, but the damage in my Parents garage is still there today!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rf900rush

posted on 28/8/20 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
How about a cheap 3D printer.
Just sure the power supply is enclosed/safe.

Then he will have to learn CAD.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/8/20 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure you can get one cheap enough but a Stirling engine?

Technical Lego was great - seems a bit too tailored to the end vehicle for me now (but I still enjoy building the kids) although it's also expensive - but you can get cheaper copies

bi22le

posted on 29/8/20 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a really cheap scrap car and take it to bits.

If you have the space that is

If you buy something useful you can use the bits you want, maybe make a gaming chair from a seat. Maybe open up an eBay account and sell on the spares. 11 year olds will start to be interested in making money. Spannering spares may be a start.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

big_wasa

posted on 30/8/20 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Tools,

I still have some of the 1/4” socket set my grandad gave me 35 years ago. They don’t have to be snap on and they make a great add on for birthdays and Xmas.

ReMan

posted on 30/8/20 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a toolkit. Theres some nice kits for under £100 that would make a great beginners present to cover most hobby jobs

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 30/8/20 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'd 2nd the tools idea. I bought my sons (now 12 & 14) tools over the years for birthdays. They come to appreciate them and you get to teach them how to use them.

For me a bonus was they stopped pilfering mine and leaving them here there and every where.

Benzine

posted on 2/9/20 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the ideas, it's been very helpful
JC

posted on 3/9/20 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
If you’ve got £250 to spend.........

#justsayin 🤣

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.