Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exhaust port size
sammundo

posted on 12/12/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust port size

hi folks. Quick question. I have a standard 1300 crossflow going in my locost with 30mm exhaust ports. I have the standard manifold but i have found a 4-2-1 with 34mm ports for pretty cheap. Will it work well without porting the head? Or should i stick with the original.
cheers

Deckman001

posted on 12/12/20 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya, the slightly larger exhaust shouldn't affect your 1300 xflow, it lets the exhaust escape quicker that normal so if you have a big valve head, it'll be even better. I have a larger than normal exhaust on my 1600, it allows the gases to escape better.

Jason

gremlin1234

posted on 12/12/20 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
mismatched pipes can/will cause turbulence, think of the exhaust as a tuned musical instrument.
but just go for it, gives you an excuse to 'port' the head later too

steve m

posted on 12/12/20 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I would fettle the head to match the headers, its an easy but time consuming job,
You will also need the larger exhaust gaskets

But in reality a 1300 xflow, even in a locost/lightweight car will be like driving a Nissan Micra

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Shooter63

posted on 12/12/20 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just to go against the grain here, don't match the port to the manifold, mismatch is a good thing as long as the manifold is bigger, what it does is help stop the pulse going back into the chamber and pushing the new inlet charge out.

Shooter

snapper

posted on 13/12/20 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Just to go against the grain here, don't match the port to the manifold, mismatch is a good thing as long as the manifold is bigger, what it does is help stop the pulse going back into the chamber and pushing the new inlet charge out.

Shooter

Shooter is sort of right but the professional way is to use anti reversion stubs which are short tubes welded on to the manifold plate that are port matched then a much larger primary pipe welded over that.
In reality only any good for a drag racer.

You 4 branch manifold will be better than the cast original by a long chalk and work well on a 1600 if you ever swap it out.

Fit it and enjoy

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jelly head

posted on 13/12/20 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Smooth flow on the exhaust side is not quite as importand as such as don't forget you have a piston pushing the exhaust gasses out, depends if you're after every HP in which case you'd be doing the head anyway.
sammundo

posted on 13/12/20 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys guys. I think i'll go for it. I am liking the simplicity of the xflow so maybe a 1600 will come in down the line.
steve m

posted on 13/12/20 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
You wont regret going up to 1600, its 7/8" taller,
and then you may progress to a 1700 (1696)

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

coyoteboy

posted on 15/12/20 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's 2mm on the radius, you won't see any difference without back to back dyno runs. If it had been 5mm I'd be much more worried, but I've still seen OEM manifolds worse.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.