Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Cooling
MrMaddog

posted on 18/12/20 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Cooling

Good evening,

I have recently purchased a Luego Velocity XT, powered by a 2.1 Pinto.
The car is fitted with a fan heater matrix for additional cooling(not heating the cabin)
My question:Is this secondary cooling just treating the symptoms rather than curing the problem?
Apparently it was fitted to keep the temp down in slow summer traffic using a switch to select it on when required.
I have included a couple of pics to illustrate.
I think it looks hideous and would really like to lose it or replace with something more aesthetically pleasing.

Mark

[Edited on 18/12/20 by MrMaddog]

big_wasa

posted on 18/12/20 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck adding the photos

[Edited on 18/12/20 by big_wasa]

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/20 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of radiator do you have? I'd fit a good aluminium one like this Ebay link
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 18/12/20 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes the problem is not the radiator it’s just getting air through it. Is the area around the sides of the rad sealed off to force all the air coming in through the rad. Also can the air escape the engine compartment, vents?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

SteveWalker

posted on 18/12/20 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has a standard 2l pinto, with a normal Cortina radiator and and electric fan. I put an aluminium sheet over the back of the radiator, with the fan fitted to that, so the fan cannot pull air from the sides, only from the radiator. I can't remember the size of the fan, but it is about as big as will fit comfortably to the radiator. I have never had any problem keeping the temperature under control.

I do have a louvred bonnet though.

[Edited on 18/12/20 by SteveWalker]

MrMaddog

posted on 19/12/20 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
What kind of radiator do you have? I'd fit a good aluminium one like this Ebay link [/quote

I'll try and find some identification on it!!!

MrMaddog

posted on 19/12/20 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Sometimes the problem is not the radiator it’s just getting air through it. Is the area around the sides of the rad sealed off to force all the air coming in through the rad. Also can the air escape the engine compartment, vents?

I'll check this!
Does it matter that the electric fan is in front of the rad rather than behind?

rusty nuts

posted on 19/12/20 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had problems with my Xflow engined car until I wrapped the exhaust manifold under the bonnet which helped but the biggest improvement was cutting some vents in the rear of the bonnet to allow hot air out.
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 19/12/20 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrMaddog
quote:

I'll check this!
Does it matter that the electric fan is in front of the rad rather than behind?

If you have the room between your radiator and your engine, it is always preferable to have the fan behind the radiator, pulling the air. A fan in front of the radiator will block part of the airways, and should be installed this way only if there is no possibility tu put it behind.

Also, it is important that the fan seats well against the radiator (no gap), so all the air it sucks can't come from the side, but 100% through the radiator.

A duct between your nose cone opening and the radiator can improve the cooling.

jacko

posted on 19/12/20 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
How big is the holes in the grill the grill needs quite big holes it makes a big difference to cooling
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 19/12/20 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling is not just the radiator but of course that is one thing to consider, ally radiators work better than steel.
If it’s running a Ford radiator you need a twin row 42 core to be safe.
You can run an 82 degree thermostat, standard one opens at 88 degrees.
Do you have a header tank? If so make sure the water level is above the inlet manifold.
Air bleed T in the 16mm hose from pump to manifold.
Vent hot air from engine bay
Wrap exhaust to contain heat
Check fan is pulling or pushing through radiator.
The earlier post about blanking the areas where air can go round the radiator is a good point.
Fit a 16 or 19 row oil cooler with thermostatic takeoff.

To get air out of my car I propped the rear of the bonnet 10mm, worked wonders

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MrMaddog

posted on 26/12/20 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips gents!
pigeondave

posted on 27/12/20 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

THIS^^

Although I have found that its not completely a case that the air can't escape in the way people think.

see my post on the JPSC forum
https://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1878

Basically you need to do 3 things:
Shroud the front off the rad so that no air can be sucked in by the fan from anywhere other than through the rad. This means

• Shroud the front off the rad so that no air can be sucked in by the fan from anywhere other than through the rad. This means sides AND top edges
  • Make sure the fan is actually pulling air. This can be done by using smoke pellets from Screwfix. Light them and put them in a metal tube to introduce smoke when the fan is on. This is how I saw my fan pulling air over the edges of the rad from the engine side
  • The important one noted in the JPSC thread. put a small under tray below the rad, and only the rad.

You can read how big my one was. I think it stops the air filling the back of the rad. This air filling the back of the rad stop the air flow through the rad.
This little thing has almost made me run too cold in the UK but saved me in 42 deg of Spain

Also I believe that its better to mount fans one fan blade width away from the rad to stop the dead spot in the centre. Obviously you still have to seal the new standoff edge or it won't pull air through the rad this is my next project. As when stationary temps start to creep up.

I'm thinking of just buying the VW fan shroud / mount off ebay breakers yard

best of luck with it all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.