Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bifold door insulation
Benzine

posted on 4/11/22 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Bifold door insulation

My house is insulated pretty well. Cavity insulation and rigid board insulation throughout. A real weak spot is the kitchen bifold doors. Not much room for blinds/curtains. I wondered if anyone had any ideas to help reduce heat loss?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/22 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Tape many fluffy kittens to them to keep in the heat

Last week we rented a very old flat and it has sash windows. In addition to curtains, it had fold out wood panels that were recessed into the side wall. These could fold out and cover the whole window. They actually very effective for both heat loss and noise. Since it's really the winter months that heat loss is a problem. Maybe you could have a temporary thing that clips on etc. that could give additional insulation and remove them in the summer so you can open the doors if needed? You might also have old seals that are drafty and could just be replaced.

[Edited on 4/11/22 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 4/11/22 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Some years back living in a rented flat with bay / sash windows they had the same as Mr Whippy describes. Living on a busy road they certainly helped reduce the noise. They had been built into the window frames when the place was built (the whole bulding had them).

Forget the company name, but there's advertes on TV at the moment for thermal roller blinds. No doubt they cost a bit and it would take a while to recoup the money, but it might be a way to go if you have limited installation space.

Probably the most costly solution would be to replace the actual glazing units with triple glazed units. Pricey though! One of those how long are you going to be there questions for you.

[Edited on 4/11/22 by nick205]

garyo

posted on 4/11/22 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Do any of them work very well? They strike me as the kind of thing destined to fail and then be leaky mal-adjusted frustrations forever more.

The U-value of 28mm double glazing is around 1.2, so you're effectively replacing a cavity wall that has a U-value of 0.3 with something that won't also leak/bypass.

Genuine question by the way, as I've pondered putting some in myself.

jacko

posted on 4/11/22 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Screw fix sell silver foil insulation that could be fitted to the windows with tape
to help heat loss
Graham

HowardB

posted on 4/11/22 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
there are clip in thermal blinds that are available - they are made from multiple layer fabrics and can have a thermal lining - try blinds to go or similar. Once easy to clip in or out and they add additional insulation and remain smart looking

HTH

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.