Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Video to PC
myke pocock

posted on 16/3/23 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Video to PC

I have a number of video tapes of motorsport and other things that I would like to download to my PC. Is there any programme that is free I can download so that I can connect my video camera to the PC and copy the footage over?
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/3/23 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a cheap USB adaptor that just plugs in and free software off the web but beware, most are not free to get full functionality plus a lot of websites that appear to be reviews of the best 5 apps are in fact scams that actually just lead to one. Wondershare being one of those I'd avoid.

I tend to try and get all my software from the Microsoft store, but can't check for an app on this computer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 16/3/23 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
What type of camcorder is it?

Sony and panasonic ones can usually be connected by firewire (also known as dv-link, iee-1394), this requires an existing firewire port, or an internal pci adaptor card(it's possible your pc motherboard has a header with no connector, so may be worth checking.

On other makes this connector is less common, and without it the only way to transfer video is using an analog video capture card, this can be an internal desktop card, or an external usb device (requires at least a usb 2.0 connection).

The capture card will usually come with bundled software that should be capable enough, firewire devices need software, something free like windv will suffice to just control/capture from the camcorder.

Dave

gremlin1234

posted on 16/3/23 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
is it just a standard vhs tape?

else depends on the camera, does it have a digital output of any form?

you will need a digitising card of some description,
or a video to dvd device.

as for software after its on the computer, I have recently been trying 'DaVinci Resolve' free, quite a steep learning curve for it, but it seems to do most things, and free

[Edited on 16/3/23 by gremlin1234]

nelmo

posted on 21/3/23 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I recently did this and you would not believe the hassle it is!!!

I couldn't find any of those 'free' packages that would work - the biggest problem was connecting the camcorder up. I have an old Sony TRV10 which has a Firewire output, DV output and some others - all useless because no vaguely modern PC has those connections. I even tried a PCI card in a desktop - didn't work, no idea why.

I eventually got it to work BUT it was a nightmare. I'm not going to be a huge amount of help here as I have sold the Mac I used and I can't remember exactly what was needed but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction...

First off, you need an Apple Mac - won't work with Windows. It also has to be a Mac with a certain version of the OS on it - not the latest but not too old either. You need a Mac with a Thunderbolt (?) port, which looks like a USB-C port but isn't; it's an earlier version of the USB-C port.

You then need about £75 worth of adaptors (Apple, hey!) - one to go from the Firewire of the camcorder to a different version of Firewire (smaller or something?), then an adaptor to go from that to a mini-USB (?) and then a final one to convert the mini-USB to the Thunderbolt. Something like that... (I've got pics of the adaptors if you want them?)

You also need iMovies on the Mac (not available any more, which is why you need an old-ish Mac) and then it can record from the camcorder to an MP4 file.

If anyone finds a better way, please God let me know...

[Edited on 21/3/23 by nelmo]

[Edited on 21/3/23 by nelmo]

Build Blog

HowardB

posted on 22/3/23 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone that has one of those video players the played VHS and recorded to DVD,. A quick google showed up a few models that are still around.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

loggyboy

posted on 22/3/23 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Software isnt the issue, windows movie maker can record videos from a source camera, you just need a suitable AV to USB adapter - £20 -£30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfzRJ60jwU

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 22/3/23 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake is a very good free video transcoder, once you actually get the video moved onto your computer.

LINKY

Works on most operating systems. Quite "technical" but most defaults work well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.