Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5mm bottom dash edge
jabbahutt

posted on 7/11/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
5mm bottom dash edge

morning all

Just about to cober my dash in vinyl and before commiting just thought I'd check.

From previous posts I understand that you can get away with a 5mm radius on the bottom of your dash as long as it's padded and the SVA man cant feel anything like edges through it.

Has anyone gone down this route rather than the 19mm radius and if so what padding/materials did you use to pass SVA?

Any help on materials and where you bought it from and photos would be most welcome.

Thanks
Nigel

Humbug

posted on 7/11/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I got a carbon dash from Stuart Taylor with built-in 19mm radiused bottom edge, but I think Woolies might do suitable trim. Others may be able to confirm.

Failing that, fuel hose split and stuck on the bottom edge might work

[Edited on 07.11.2007 by Humbug]

jabbahutt

posted on 7/11/07 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for that

I've made my own dash from MDF and it's approx 8mm thick. I'm just looking for clarification of how a 5mm padded radius is tested and what is deemed suitable to achieve the pass.

i have some neoprene d section from woolies with the hole in the middle but before gluing to the bottom of the dash I just want to check how the padding is tested, does he just press it and not want to feel an edge, how hard does he press

that kind of stuff, should of been clearer in my original post. so really what did you guys attach to the bottom of the dash to pass without resorting to the 19mm radius method.

Thanks

nludkin

posted on 7/11/07 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I used 19mm heater hose cut down the middle and glued to the underside. With vinyl on top it doesn't look too bad and passed a SVA touch test quite happily.

2 SVA inspectors commented that it was fine to use heater hose or something quite stiff. But cladding type materials (foam based) aren't sufficient by themselves.

jabbahutt

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies so far. so using the 5mm radius rule how small a diamter rubber pipe do you think I'd get away with and still keep the SVA man happy?

I intend to keep it after SVA so I'd like it as unobtrusive as possible.

Many thanks

02GF74

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I did it the way you intend.
ply dash, bottom edge shaved off from the front and back to be more narrow - imagine a T.

Then some U trim pu'ed on - the sticking out narrow bit of the dash going into the hollow in the U, then covered with some padding and vlinyl.

Ihe man can press as hard a he likes and providing the edge cannot be felt - whcih it couldn't due to the high density trim, then it passes.

jabbahutt

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
just another point I'd to raise. If I used rubber hose split and put over the bottom edge do they only check the front edge of a dash or do they also reach underneath and also check the rear edge?

I've jst found some tube on woolies web site 8mm bore 15mm o/d do you think I'd get away with this or is it too small or could I possibly get away with a smaller o/d?

The more info I have now the easier it'll be to make a decision as to how to finish it off.

Thanks

[Edited on 7/11/07 by jabbahutt]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.