Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello...looking for a Striker
Superflyguy

posted on 31/12/16 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hello...looking for a Striker

Hey Everyone,

My name is Guy and I'm from Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I'm looking to buy my first kit car and want to learn as much as I can before biting the bullet on a car that's right for me. I've always been a Petrol head and owned a few performance cars over the years.

My current car is an E92 BMW M3 which is a fantastic car but it's my daily driver as well my toy and the thirsty 4ltr v8 means relentless stops to the fuel station so the plan is to sell the M3, buy a cheap diesel run around and put a weekend toy in the garage for fast road and track days.

I'm particularly keen on the Raw Striker from an aesthetic point of view, but that may change as I learn more about kit cars. I have never had the pleasure of sitting in one let alone driving one and I have one slight concern...I'm 6'5 tall. Will I fit in one?

I have put aside £10k for the car. Would this get me a well spec'd car for the money?

Will have a good look round the site but any advice you guys can offer a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and happy new year!

Guy

P.S - Did try posting this in the newbie section but it kept throwing up an error message.

steve m

posted on 1/1/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guy

Welcome to the club, and your choice of car is a good one,
someone I would recommend talking to is Pekwah1 on this site, as he is a lanky dood as well, at 6,5 and has owned two strikers
so at least you will know if you can fit
on prices etc, I am unable to help

regards

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 1/1/17 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guy,

I also chose the striker for the aesthetics, although you'll find they do extremely well racing also so must be a decent chassis!
If you don't already know, there are Sylva strikers and Raw Strikers, not a massive difference between.

Space is tight for big people like us, but I'm 6'4" and 16 stone and have no problem in the striker, seat choice will make a big difference.
I can't take you out as still building, but if you wanted to pop over and get a better idea you're more than welcome, I'm in Horsham.

10k should get you a very nice striker, going rate is probably starting around 5-6k for a more basic spec and slightly older car, so yeh 10 should get you a very nice one!

SteveWallace

posted on 1/1/17 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superflyguy
Hey Everyone,

Will have a good look round the site but any advice you guys can offer a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the site, you'll not find a better one for the advice that your looking for.

I guess that the advice depends on how much of a hurry you're in. You could do worse than waiting a while (the winter weather is not really conducive to kit car driving anyway) and get over to Stoneleigh Kit Car Show at the end of April. Virtually every type of car will be on show and the people on the club pitches are usually happy to take you for a spin (hopefully not literally). There are normally a few second hand cars for sale, but not a huge number.

Alternatively, use your M3 as a donor and build one yourself!

peter030371

posted on 3/1/17 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I live in Hawkhurst and have a part built Striker if you want to have a look at/ sit in one? (it was in Matfield until the beginning of last week)

I am just over 6'2 so not much smaller than you but with my seats (from JK Composites) its more about hip size. My previous Striker started out with basic foam bench seats which give more room but less support for track driving. I fitted GRP bucket seats to that one (from a Mark Fisher and later switched to the same seats I have now) in the end for the extra support but still found a comfortable position I could fit in for road and track use.

If you want to come and have a look U2U me

Also if you are set on a Striker and you do fit they are great cars and you should join the JPSCC which I think is still free.... have a look here

pekwah1

posted on 3/1/17 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
To second the comments from Peter, hip size will be more of a consideration.
I had JK Composite seats in my last striker, but ended up effectively cutting out the section by the hips below where the harness holes are.

@Peter, if you have similar issues with comfort i'd highly recommend butchering your seats as it made a massive difference to me!

peter030371

posted on 3/1/17 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
To second the comments from Peter, hip size will be more of a consideration.
I had JK Composite seats in my last striker, but ended up effectively cutting out the section by the hips below where the harness holes are.

@Peter, if you have similar issues with comfort i'd highly recommend butchering your seats as it made a massive difference to me!

My first GRP bucket seats from Mark Fisher ended up all cut away but the JK seats have always been fine if somewhat snug

When the new car is finished I will soon find out how much I have expanded since the last car was driven 3 years ago

jeffw

posted on 5/1/17 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a really nice one

http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread.php?t=13706

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.