Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury Drive Shafts
BLing

posted on 23/4/19 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Fury Drive Shafts

Hi all,

My Fury has a Sierra diff with push in shafts, there seems a lot of play in most of the 4 shaft joints with one being worse than the others. I'm hoping not all are toast! How much play/backlash is acceptable?

If is was a newer standard car I'd definitely replace both shafts but I'm sure I read somewhere that the tripod Sierra shafts can have some play in them? I'm just after some idea of what's normal before I start pulling things apart…

Thanks

Brian

snapper

posted on 24/4/19 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Having just rebuilt drum brakes on my 7 replica I can say there is quite a lot of backlash at the drum, perhaps 10 to 15 degrees

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 24/4/19 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Having just rebuilt drum brakes on my 7 replica I can say there is quite a lot of backlash at the drum, perhaps 10 to 15 degrees

Ditto.

Also remember that the shaft section isn't fixed in place, it's effectively floating inbetween the ends of the driveshaft. If you fully dismantle the driveshaft there's a small spring eirther end between the end of the shaft and the lump of the CV joint.

Item 12 in the image on the site http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/images/sierra-rear-diff.gif

BLing

posted on 24/4/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

It may well just be the single outer joint that's stuffed then. I'm getting a lot of noise on the overrun or on light throttle opening from that side of the car.

Just18972

posted on 25/4/19 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Shafts

I have a pair of fitted but unused push in shafts if you need some I fitted them and they just sat there, I’ve changed to bolt in shafts so not needed and I’m pretty local.
BLing

posted on 25/4/19 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that would be great!

I'll get the faulty one off the car for a better look and send you a U2. I'm sure I can supply some beer tokens

Just18972

posted on 26/4/19 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLing
Thanks, that would be great!

I'll get the faulty one off the car for a better look and send you a U2. I'm sure I can supply some beer tokens

No problem mate

jimgiblett

posted on 9/5/19 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

Ditto.

Also remember that the shaft section isn't fixed in place, it's effectively floating inbetween the ends of the driveshaft. If you fully dismantle the driveshaft there's a small spring eirther end between the end of the shaft and the lump of the CV joint.

Item 12 in the image on the site http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/images/sierra-rear-diff.gif

Anyone know what item 14 is in the picture. It looks like a spacer of some type?

Cheers

Jim

adithorp

posted on 9/5/19 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Think that's the circlip that secures the spider to the shaft (though it's a poor bit of drawing if it is)

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jimgiblett

posted on 9/5/19 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there was a circlip. Was worried I had missed something when I reassembled 👍
BLing

posted on 12/5/19 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
So I've got the shaft out and apart. It looks like the shafts were provided exchange as part of the kit in around 2003. Sods law the one hard bit to replace is the part with a problem. The splines on one end of the custom shaft have failed, there's not a lot of spline left...

I'm going to see if Berrisford can give me a quote for new one, the other option is to have a standard one shortened. A local firm J. W. Engineering said they shorten shafts for drift cars so should be strong enough.

Has anyone any recommendations? Or an old shaft laying around? The ones I have are around 24mm OD with 28 splines outer and 26 spline inner. As long as the main shaft is in good condition I don't really need the other bits.

If not it's eBay time :-)

Thanks,

Brian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.