Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Sylva Striker owner
peter030371

posted on 16/12/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you Don't lose heart though, you have got a long way and from what I can see the difficult stuff is all done

Does it have to be an MBE controller? Lots of options for ignition only controllers at around £400 or less.....i.e. Megajolt/ Megasquirt, Omex 200, Nodiz etc. Even if you cost in a new engine loom on an ignition only unit this is not going to cost too much more.

Edited to add>
Soon as I hit 'post' I spotted this Megajolt for sale....got to be worth a serious look at

[Edited on 16/12/13 by peter030371]

daveb666

posted on 16/12/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
SBD may be able to repair your ECU, but as above there are plenty of 2nd hand items around if you search. I got an MBE967 ECU (fuel injection) and loom for £250 a few months ago.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

BDMStriker

posted on 16/12/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that guys,

After looking on the Nodiz website im very tempted, just short of £400 for a fully mappable setup and still able to retain the original Crank sensor setup,

I was in 2 minds whether to attempt to get the MBE repaired, its too old for SBD to really look at apparently, and the software for mapping is out of date relative, plus it means i could suit the ecu to the engine and have some sort of on the fly feedback as i dont know how good the map was due to never having it running, only the previous owner

Dopdog

posted on 16/12/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
HI Ben,

Just came across your posts and am sorry to hear that the edu does not work. It never let me down at all and fired from the very first time I turned the engine over. I am a bit surprised that SBD cannot have a look at it for you as it is one of theirs? I surpose these things do not work forever!!

I am sure you will be able find another unit and believe me it is worth the wait.

Simon

[Edited on 16/12/13 by Dopdog]

[Edited on 16/12/13 by Dopdog]

BDMStriker

posted on 16/12/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Evening Simon!

Nah the MBE not running is no biggie. Totally hooked on getting the car back on the road for next year. . And hopefully you'll approve of its progress!

I havent contacted SBD about it as yet. More just researching about the 906 that its not supported anymore. And as the cars having an overhaul i might as well update the management at the same time.

Its been a definate learning curve especially trying to source parts and find donor vehicles that were used etc but enjoying it !

I know the time nath had the car after yourself it was stored in a flood area of 2009 ish in hull so wondered if it was waterdamaged. And considering its age at nearly 21 its had a very good innings

Currently toying between an MBE 9a4i and a nodiz_pro.!

[Edited on 16/12/13 by BDMStriker]

peter030371

posted on 17/12/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick thought....I know you have carbs and not fuel injection but are you not tempted to upgrade to a fuel injection ECU ready for the day you want to change
BDMStriker

posted on 18/1/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Always a milestone!!

excuse it sounding a bit out,, base timing settings and carbs yet to be fully balanced,

didnt think it was bad for an engine with a bit of head work and its first run in over 10 years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n6MnHn-NGA

[Edited on 18/1/14 by BDMStriker]

peter030371

posted on 18/1/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Love it

I so need to get me car up and running but I am a good six months away from that point

perksy

posted on 18/1/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BDMStriker
Evening Simon!

Nah the MBE not running is no biggie. Totally hooked on getting the car back on the road for next year. . And hopefully you'll approve of its progress!

I havent contacted SBD about it as yet. More just researching about the 906 that its not supported anymore. And as the cars having an overhaul i might as well update the management at the same time.

Its been a definate learning curve especially trying to source parts and find donor vehicles that were used etc but enjoying it !

I know the time nath had the car after yourself it was stored in a flood area of 2009 ish in hull so wondered if it was waterdamaged. And considering its age at nearly 21 its had a very good innings

Currently toying between an MBE 9a4i and a nodiz_pro.!

[Edited on 16/12/13 by BDMStriker]

Striker looks good

As for the broken MBE ECU, if you PM 'Oddified' off here i'm sure Ian will be able to fix it for you.
He keeps a lot of the spares for MBE ECU's and has fixed many in the past.

BDMStriker

posted on 25/1/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for that

had seen oddified website about getting it repaired etc but since doing the full rebuild having a mappable ecu seems easier now.

So anyone who wants an old 906 that needs repair theyre welcome to it

another 2 days work to crack on with on it!

BDMStriker

posted on 16/3/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not really given much of an update up to now..

Bodywork was ordered and collected from Raw Direct, Fantastic Bunch of guys & Petrolheads at heart..

decided on a 1 piece rear tub all in white... now the difficult bits done wireing dash and interior for the summer!

Apart from a few gel cracks... on the side mounts to the ally panel on one side, i am amazed how versatile fibreglass is,, especially cutting out the exhaust etc

the front arches arent fitted and just resting on the tyres, so not a bad fitment!

[Edited on 16/3/14 by BDMStriker]

perksy

posted on 16/3/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Worth mixing up some clear glassfibre resin and applying it to the edges of the cut fibreglass around the exhaust manifold if you haven't already, This will stop the fibreglass 'de-laminating' where you've cut it if it gets wet.
BDMStriker

posted on 13/4/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, will look into it!

short but sweet update, made a backing plate/cluster for the read lights,, gives it a different look for a kit, droppled the old 7" fronts for a 5"3/4 set in matt black too

progress, should be MOT time in the next month or so

peter030371

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
The rear lights look good....gives me some more ideas for my car when I get to that stage
daveb666

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
There's a chap with an MBE 967 ECU and loom (for a zetec but easily modifiable) for £250 on WSCC forums.

That will allow you to upgrade to TBs in future if you wanted.

Can't remember if you'd sorted your management yet or not?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

brookie

posted on 14/4/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
where about in Doncaster u from
BDMStriker

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cantley Mate..

just a few little updates, waiting on a set of buckets and to get it wired.. hopefully 4 weeks as theres a house move due

[Edited on 29/4/14 by BDMStriker]

BDMStriker

posted on 5/10/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a late update, had a unexpected house move thats meant the strikers new home is a family members garage for the moment!,

booked thurs and fri off work to get a start on the wiring, halfway through it, still a few things such as lights, hazards, horn and rad fan to finish off then hoping to get the seats bolted in,

A vid of its first dash based start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yARo3hqJKeU&list=UUrCfIihtX_xh3TY-GL4Kt3A

BDMStriker

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Finally i'm pleased to say its actually finished,

ready for MOT which will hopefully be weekend after next for a steady shakedown,

Originally back in Feb 2013 it was meant as a 6 month build which turned into a 2.5 year build... It had quite a few more gremlins such as the Diff Being shot. Full Head Rebuild, New Management , complete new brakes and lines, Body work new seats etc etc,

My Nephew being the first passenger wih the harnesses on!

So hoping to have the end part of 2015 to really get to know the car... i know its a clear rebuild but i intend to drive it, it'll be far from a trailor queen

Hoping to eventually look at getting a full cage fitted if possible..

[Edited on 23/8/15 by BDMStriker]

BDMStriker

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies for the giant images.. trying to resize!
Dopdog

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff well sone
BDMStriker

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mate, Been a long time coming!,

Nath the previous owner gave me all the original docs with it.. 2 full ringbinders on it now your original build and mine

peter030371

posted on 24/8/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Looking great....I just want to get mine done but its still a long way from turning a wheel under its own power!
DapperRob

posted on 24/8/15 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
That looks proper boss! Always loved a C20XE, and craved a C20LET (turbo'd version) for ages, if you can find one which hasn't been spanked. If you need engine spares, despite not always being the most welcoming to outsiders, MIGWEB forum has an active for sale section.

The exhaust manifold is just a work of art. Not a personal fan of the dash, but at least it's neat - if very colourful!

Can I ask which seats you went for / £? I'm looking for some full height ones at the moment, as I've got no head restraint and I hear that hitting your skull on the rollbar hurts a bit.

Also just spotted... do RAW still do the wing-top indicators, or did you just choose to have them mounted under the headlights for aesthetics?

Cheers....... R

BDMStriker

posted on 24/8/15 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
The dash is a bit marmite .. but in person its not so garish honest.. it was an attempt of fitting the 88/89/91 marlboro colors in to the car without being obvious..

The seats are JK Composites strikers. Bit snug but the only set i could find that fit well.. IIRC about £260/280 ish best fitting seats ive found and very well made

I cant imagine a C20let in something like this.. i ran 250 ish in a 1.8t leon and just playing with the c20xe on the drive it shocked me how brutal they really are... my first kit so will be treading carefully!

[Edited on 24/8/15 by BDMStriker]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.