Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stylus test drive
J-16

posted on 17/3/15 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Stylus test drive

Hi,

I had a test drive in an SSC Stylus today, a 2.0 Silver Top with Jenvey bodies and Emerald ECU.

I noticed a few things which, as this was my first time in a kit car, I am unsure as to whether are normal:

- Strongish smell of Petrol in cabin - is this normal for TB's or poss over fueling?

- Loud pops from exhaust on overrun (sounds great) - related to over fueling?

- Very rippled paint finish - normal for fibreglass? (It wasn't a gel coat)

- Generally slightly tatty appearance, I guess this varies hugely but maybe I'm expecting too much.

I was also surprised to notice that although the ride was definitely fun and exilerating it didn't actually feel that fast, to be honest it felt quite a bit slower than my BMW 330ci.

Really I need to test a couple more cars but with so few around it's hard to know what's normal and what's just wrong.

Cheers,

James

theduck

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
a 2.0silvertop on jenvies wont be making huge power, and the car wont be featherweight, so probably is only 330 fast.
se7ensport

posted on 17/3/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen many kits in the flesh? the issues you describe could be that you are comparing a home built car with a factory one... Seeing others will put it in context.

TBs shouldn't smell of fuel any more than any other set-up, it could be running rich and coming out of the exhaust, poor seal on the fuel tank, perished fuel hose etc.... None of these are necessarily serious and could be a negotiation point.

Put a post in the wanted section asking for a passenger ride in a local kit, a Stylus is just a 7 in a frock.

Have you been on the Stylus forum? http://www.clubstylus.be/forum/index.php

Not as fast as hoped... it depends what you want it for, its not all about acceleration, handling and fun on roads or track don't rely on brute power, see caterhams new 160 (80bhp @ sub 500kg):

[Edited on 17/3/15 by se7ensport]

jeffw

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not as fast as hoped... it depends what you want it for, its not all about acceleration, handling and fun on roads or track don't rely on brute power,

Ummm....or you could have lots of power as well

The Stylus sounds like it needs mapping, overfueling and popping on over run suggests it needs sorting out. It will still be 160ish BHP in something that weighs 600-650Kg (240 BHP per ton). 330Ci is 228BHP and 1430Kg so the Stylus should win on power to weight.

[Edited on 17/3/15 by jeffw]

J-16

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
No, this was my very first kit car experience so you are probably right and the idea of asking for a local passenger ride is a good one.

I've been trying to register on the Stylus forum but not getting any response to my emails unfortunately.

Completely agree regards power isn't everything, my other hobbie is rifle shooting where this applies in much the same way, but still, I was expecting a little more from a light car, in particular it was the way the power was delivered, it felt a bit lazy, I was expecting more of an electric throttle response.

I'll be at Stoneleigh for my first time this year so hopefully I can pick up a bit more experience there.

Thanks

James

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you James?

I'm sure a friendly LCBer could take you for a spin?

whitestu

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
The finish sounds like my MK, but performance wise it should be pretty fast. Mine just has a standard 2.0 Blacktop on carbs and it goes pretty well.
adithorp

posted on 17/3/15 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J-16
...the idea of asking for a local passenger ride is a good one...

...I was expecting more of an electric throttle response...

...I'll be at Stoneleigh for my first time this year so hopefully I can pick up a bit more experience there.

Thanks

James

Come over to the JPSC pitch at Stoneleigh and I'm sure someone will sort you out with a ride.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

J-16

posted on 17/3/15 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I'm in Somerset, not far from Weston Super Mare. Will make sure I look out for the JPSC pitch at Stoneleigh.

Thanks again

Alfa145

posted on 17/3/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
The smell of fuel could be over fuelling, leaking pipes, or as the stylus uses the old midget tank which is steel so might have sprung a leak or rusted through. It shouldn't smell of petrol at all if done correct. Mine doesn't smell of petrol at all.

Prob needs tuning so £350+ for an Emerald tune might see that power improve a bit. Popping on overrun could be over fueling, or a hole/leak in the exhaust.

These cars shouldn't feel sluggish if tuned right. Out right straight line speed is not what these cars are about, its the corners where you gain, slowing down and throwing a 650kg car round a corner is always quicker than trying to slow down and throw a 1.5 ton BMW round the same corner. But without all the computer helping you out

Paint is only as good as the prep and if the builder used a mate for a cheap job it might not have been prepped as well as a pro might for alot more ££.

One thing to check for on the Stylus is are the rear trailing arms dipped or straight, as you might come into problems with straight arms due to limited suspension travel.

yogibear1969

posted on 17/3/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not decided yet, but may bring striker on trailer, can't drive it as have all the club gear too!
Only thing is may not get time to drive it!
Edd

Jenko

posted on 18/3/15 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
- Strongish smell of Petrol in cabin - is this normal for TB's or poss over fueling?
Not normal, but will probably be something VERY simple to sort out, you will have fuel lines etc through the tunnel, and a great bug fuel tank next to you left sholder.

- Loud pops from exhaust on overrun (sounds great) - related to over fueling?
As it's fuel injected, I suspect it has lambda control for emissions / economy. This can quite often cause this, but it can be mapped out - not a big deal

- Very rippled paint finish - normal for fibreglass? (It wasn't a gel coat)
I've seen some painted gel coat finishes whish are near perfect, so it can be done.

- Generally slightly tatty appearance, I guess this varies hugely but maybe I'm expecting too much.
When you get under the skin of many kit cars, they can start to look tatty. They are very exposed to the elements, and the chassis is steel.

Oerformance wise, a decent suspension set up, some good tyres and a track day will probably show where these sort of cars excel.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Alfa145

posted on 18/3/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Not all fuel injected engines use a Lambda, mine doesn't. There is a setting in the Emerald to cut fueling on overrun which can be turned on or off (I think) it might be that if the car hasn't been mapped this is sat on, but from what he says it sounds like the car need a full RR setup to get the map right.
DJT

posted on 18/3/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've throttle bodies on a 2.0 Zetec. The power to weight is probably high 200s. What is very different from a tin top is the throttle response and pick-up/deceleration - its instantaneous and one of the car's endearing attributes. The lightened flywheel helps. Sounds like this Stylus is not running optimally.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

se7ensport

posted on 18/3/15 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers guys, I'm in Somerset, not far from Weston Super Mare. Will make sure I look out for the JPSC pitch at Stoneleigh.

Thanks again

You should have mentioned somerset in your first post... I'm 5 mins from M4 junction 19.

I have a stylus I built in 2006, changed pretty much everything since and could take you for a drive. The car is not for sale though.

U2U with contact details.

Shooter63

posted on 18/3/15 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't mind me asking, where abouts was the car you were looking at, it's just that I'm going to look at one this weekend and travelling a fair old way, if the car isn't up to much, I don't think I will bother.

Regards

Shooter

richwill

posted on 18/3/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
As you are in Weston check out Applecountykitcars.co.uk. Our club is based in Somerset and there are plenty of different kit cars to compare. Someone would be sure to take you out for a run.
Cheers Rich

Riot Squad

posted on 19/3/15 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi James,
you could pop down and see us (Riot Cars) in Minehead, Somerset and take a look at our current development car the Riot classic (an evolution of the Jeremy Phillips J16) to get an idea of finish quality. We are about to get the car IVA'd and so will offer test drives very soon.
The engine we are playing with is a 1.6 Ecoboost producing nearly 200BHP and the car weighs less than 500kg!
Our previous demo car was a 1.4 Zetec on throttle bodies with 120bhp, this was enough to excite (frighten) a customer used to driving Subaru Impreza rally cars.
Miles
Riot Cars.

www.Riotcars.co.uk
Tel. 01643 709330

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philw

posted on 19/3/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
No, this was my very first kit car experience so you are probably right and the idea of asking for a local passenger ride is a good one.

I've been trying to register on the Stylus forum but not getting any response to my emails unfortunately.

Completely agree regards power isn't everything, my other hobbie is rifle shooting where this applies in much the same way, but still, I was expecting a little more from a light car, in particular it was the way the power was delivered, it felt a bit lazy, I was expecting more of an electric throttle response.

I'll be at Stoneleigh for my first time this year so hopefully I can pick up a bit more experience there.

Thanks

James

My honest advice would be, buy yourself an MX5 and with the money you will save treat yourself to a new rifle

Must try harder

alfas

posted on 19/3/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi,

I had a test drive in an SSC Stylus today, a 2.0 Silver Top with Jenvey bodies and Emerald ECU.

I noticed a few things which, as this was my first time in a kit car, I am unsure as to whether are normal:

- Strongish smell of Petrol in cabin - is this normal for TB's or poss over fueling? -->> not normal

- Loud pops from exhaust on overrun (sounds great) - related to over fueling? -->> not normal

- Very rippled paint finish - normal for fibreglass? (It wasn't a gel coat) -->> not normal

- Generally slightly tatty appearance, I guess this varies hugely but maybe I'm expecting too much. -->> not normal

I was also surprised to notice that although the ride was definitely fun and exilerating it didn't actually feel that fast, to be honest it felt quite a bit slower than my BMW 330ci. -->> sounds like badly setup -->> not normal

Really I need to test a couple more cars but with so few around it's hard to know what's normal and what's just wrong.

Cheers,

James

alfas

posted on 19/3/15 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
but it all depends on the price.

how much the seller asks for it?
is it correctly registered as stylus in the v5c?
engine-size etc is also correctly written in the v5c?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.