Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just took delivery of a striker
parkiboy

posted on 18/11/17 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just took delivery of a striker

Happy Days... yesterday i took delivery of this raw striker running a ZX9R engine. I would have preferred to take delivery of a kit but i just don't have the time to put it together at the moment!

This is my second kit car my previous being a Hayabusa Powered MK Indy R around 5 years ago, i had a poor relationship this car, i bought it part built finished it off and got it through the IVA, it then blew up a week later and i was left with a very expensive bill! I said i'd never have a BEC again for this reason but after test driving a couple of CEC's they just didn't feel as special to me, hence my choice another BEC with a cheaper engine option, if the ZX9R engine goes its not the end of the world as replacement units are cheap enough!

Anyways here's the car;

tiny image hosting

It am impressed with the build it has been finished off very nice, its been built to be a road car with the odd track day, that's exactly what i was after as i found my MK too hardcore for the road. I only went for a 10 minute blast yesterday there's i want to give it a good check over and do a few jobs before i take it for a proper run as it has only done around 500 miles since 2012!

Jobs to do over winter are;

1. Get the geometry checked/setup as the steering wheel is pretty off center whilst driving in a straight line
2. Give the engine a service
3. Carb clean and balance - although it does appear to be running well i don't think this would have been done for some time.
4. Car was built in 2003 and powder coating on the underside is getting a bit tired, i'm going to sand these areas off and apply POR15
5. New wing mirrors as i couldn't see bugger all in the ones fitted currently
6. Seating position - it is a bit too laid back for my liking and i need a cushion to reach the pedals, i'm either going to fit fibreglass seats or manufacture a spacer and keep the current seats.

Jobs to do in the future; not thought about this too much so far i'm sure i will find things as i learn the car but so far;

1. New front cycle wings - ones on currently are a bit tired.
2. New wheels
3. Toyo R888R's

looks like i'm going to be busy

bi22le

posted on 18/11/17 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work. Perfect time of year. Drive it to introduce yourself then spend the winter tweaking it.

If you like that classic look then fine but one of the first things I wanted to do to my Striker was give it a modern look. I black vinyl the sides and changed the wheels.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/11/17 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to see my old car is going to be enjoyed again have fun with it
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/11/17 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig if your changing the tyres look at nankang ns2 r tyres had them on my last striker really good road and track tyre and not bad in the wet , the pics I saw before I reckon the fuel filters asr the originals there was one by the fuel tank as well I hope you enjoy the car
parkiboy

posted on 18/11/17 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ian. Yes fuel filters are on my service list i was checking it over earlier and they do look very old indeed!

I actually have a couple of questions for you there's some lights/switches i cannot for the hell of me figure out what they are for lol.

The red light/button to the left of the starter button, the flip switch to the right of the starter button and the blue, orange and red light above the steering wheel.

I am assuming either the red above the steering wheel or to the left of the starter button light is handbrake and the blue full beam? if they are they are not working so i suspect the LED's need replacing.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/11/17 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lights above steering column blue main beam red was oil pressure and orange was ign /charging flip switch in centre console is rear foglamp and the switch the other side was for checking brake fluid level in master cylinder res it didn't have a handbrake on switch
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/11/17 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
You have a u2u
parkiboy

posted on 18/11/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I know I said it in u2u but thanks Ian for your help.
alfas

posted on 25/11/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
a nice car!!!

for the typical striker look, do NOT change the front wings....the diagonal-cut front of the wings is unique strker.
give them a refresh of the paint and thats it. i also like the bare alloy sides....gives the car a touch of racinng , also it looks more "valuable" ...caterham, lotus always had bare alloy sides...

for the out of centre steering wheel. first pull the wheel from the hub and refit it centred.
if the geometry would be so far out, the car would be undriveable.
also a wrongly positioned steering wheel could not be corrected by a wheel alignemnt, as you wont have enough thread on the rod-ends

i never understood why on the majority of kitcars the steering wheel is out of centre? don´t owners recognize that uring driving?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.