Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shed roof re-felting, decent felt?
nick205

posted on 27/12/18 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Shed roof re-felting, decent felt?

Happy Christmas to all.

I need to re-felt my 8' x 10' pitched roof garden shed. The existing felt isn't ripped, but the OSB sheets below it are pretty wet through and I'm inclined to re-felt the roof before trying anything else.

I'm happy doing the job myself, but wonder if anyone can recommend a decent black or dark grey roofing felt from Wickes, Jewson or the like please?

Budget is up to £150 for the felt and I have the roofing nails already.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick

[Edited on 27/12/18 by nick205]

loggyboy

posted on 27/12/18 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Go with edpm. Probably achievable only a little over your budget. Il be doing mine in the summer as my new felt is already leaking, only fitted it in summer.

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 28/12/18 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
I got some second hand box profile metal sheets for mine. was a lot cheaper than felt and should last a long time..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SJ

posted on 28/12/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I got some second hand box profile metal sheets for mine. was a lot cheaper than felt and should last a long time..

Similarly, I used Coraline corrugated bitumen sheets on mine. Super quick to fit and pretty much last for ever. They are more expensive than felt though.

nick205

posted on 28/12/18 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Will look at Coroline and EPDM solutions.

Budget is not rigid, ultimately keeping the shed dry is more important.

[Edited on 28/12/18 by nick205]

nick205

posted on 28/12/18 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Coroline looks feasible and not massively expensive in materials to complete. Certainly not beyond manageable for me to buy materials and install myself either.

Loggyboy do you have a suggestion for EPDM suppliers?

nick205

posted on 28/12/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Coroline looks to be about £240 for materials and a day's labour for me. Coroline also advertise a 15 year waterproof guarantee for it as well. Suspect that's the route for me.

Thanks again for the input people.

neilp1

posted on 29/12/18 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I put a fibreglass roof on mine and it looks great and should last years. Mines 10'x8' and it cost me about £250 with a kit off the net.
Andybarbet

posted on 29/12/18 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Wickes are selling corrugated in a nice grey colour now, I'm building a carport & plan on using it on that.

My garage flat roof is fibreglass in grey so should match it too. The fibreglass is a good system as there's no joints etc.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

loggyboy

posted on 29/12/18 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Coroline looks feasible and not massively expensive in materials to complete. Certainly not beyond manageable for me to buy materials and install myself either.

I havent used anyone myself. But first google result comes in under your budget for the kit.
https://www.rubberroofingdirect.co.uk/8ft-x-10ft-apex-shed-rubber-roof-kit.html
Or thes guys who have a good install guide.
https://youtu.be/kMryrJ-ZM60

[Edited on 29-12-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 29/12/18 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I helped my neighbour fit a rubber roof as above, looks good and no seams to leak, you simply paint with the provided adhesive (looks like PVA) the carefully drape over and working from the centre out work it across the roof removing any air bubbles. Drops down the side then tanalised wooden batons to make it nice and tidy.

I would be inclined to use that and spend ten difference on new OBS if that has sagged.

ianhurley20

posted on 29/12/18 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I used corrugated steel galvanised sheets on my 10 x 8 shed. There is a local sort of reclaimed yard near me, he advertises on ebay, who sells all sorts of new old stock products. My total bill came to just under £100. There has got to be a similar place near you or I'll dig out the ebay link if you wish

nick205

posted on 30/12/18 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

I havent used anyone myself. But first google result comes in under your budget for the kit.
https://www.rubberroofingdirect.co.uk/8ft-x-10ft-apex-shed-rubber-roof-kit.html
Or thes guys who have a good install guide.
https://youtu.be/kMryrJ-ZM60

[Edited on 29-12-18 by loggyboy]

Thanks loggyboy that looks within materials budget and easy enough for me to fit too.

nick205

posted on 30/12/18 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Coroline looks to be about £240 for materials and a day's labour for me. Coroline also advertise a 15 year waterproof guarantee for it as well. Suspect that's the route for me.

Should mention that I costed this from the Homebase website so I'm sure it can be don at lower cost from a different source.

nick205

posted on 2/1/19 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Should mention that I costed this from the Homebase website so I'm sure it can be sourced at lower cost from a different source.

v8kid

posted on 2/1/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

I have used both fibreglass and corrugated metal on my summerhouse and mower shed respectively and the fibreglass is the stronger option however I would not use it again.

Although I have used fibreglass many times before and it was not apparent before I developed an allergy to the resin during layup and collapsed. Fortunately I had mostly completed the roof . It seems this pattern is not unusual in industrial allergies and it was a hot day and I was suited up - perhaps others have more knowledge of the subject. Apart from this the fibreglass adds considerable rigidity to the roof which enabled me to remove the supports from one side and have a cantilevered porch roof which has (structurally) withstood the ravages of Ayrshire weather for 10 years now. However it did become porous since I did not finish it off properly and I ended up felting over the top of it!! Felt is now 9 tears old and I'm keeping a weather eye on it.

Box pattern corrugated steel roof is much quicker to install and you can buy it in kits with all bargeboards, eves ridges, fixings and sheets included but will probably come in at £250 or so. The mower shed roof has been there for 9 years now with no maintance whatsoever

Since then I have built a party room in the garden using composite steel roofing and cannot recommend it highly enough it is simply superb, quick, immensely strong, warm, easy to lay and comes with a factory internal finish. It is also over your budget circa £500

Cheers

David

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 2/1/19 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Black Coroline is still looking the best option for me at the moment. Readily available sheets, ridges etc. looks easy enough to fit and not too expensive either.

All advice and experience is well received though - many practical people on the forum and much experience I'm sure.

ianhurley20

posted on 2/1/19 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I used corrugated steel galvanised sheets on my 10 x 8 shed. There is a local sort of reclaimed yard near me, he advertises on ebay, who sells all sorts of new old stock products. My total bill came to just under £100. There has got to be a similar place near you or I'll dig out the ebay link if you wish

Just found the link to the sheets I used - I think it was 4 sheets I used - I see it says collection but have a look at his other listings as he certainly used to do delivery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CORRUGATED-ROOF-SHEETS-8FT/143051452840?hash=item214e87f1a8:g:EyIAAOSw2XFUhvGj:rk:2:pf:0

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/1/19 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
They look like industrial-esque roofing sheets - good thing about those is that you can also use plastic or GRP rooflights in the same profile for some natural light (if you so desire/need) inside the building.

I wouldn't bother with a GRP layup roofing system; it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've just had my extension done on rear of my property, and went with an EPDM mat that looked easy to install, and has a good finish.

quote:
quote:

Just found the link to the sheets I used - I think it was 4 sheets I used - I see it says collection but have a look at his other listings as he certainly used to do delivery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CORRUGATED-ROOF-SHEETS-8FT/143051452840?hash=item214e87f1a8:g:EyIAAOSw2XFUhvGj:rk:2:pf:0

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Irony

posted on 3/1/19 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
A bit rude but I wouldn't bother with any traditional methods other than the membrane option or my off the wall suggestion.

I had a roof PRINTED. My shed is 12ft x 8ft and I sent some artwork to a big printing firm and had it printed on ultra thick PVC banner material. The thickest they had. 5 years later its still perfect. And I had it printed in a slate tiles pattern. If its good enough for the curtain side of a lorry then it'll be fine for a shed. Cost about £120.

https://bigartandbanners.com/pvc-banners/pvc-banner-printing.html

nick205

posted on 3/1/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
A bit rude but I wouldn't bother with any traditional methods other than the membrane option or my off the wall suggestion.

I had a roof PRINTED. My shed is 12ft x 8ft and I sent some artwork to a big printing firm and had it printed on ultra thick PVC banner material. The thickest they had. 5 years later its still perfect. And I had it printed in a slate tiles pattern. If its good enough for the curtain side of a lorry then it'll be fine for a shed. Cost about £120.

https://bigartandbanners.com/pvc-banners/pvc-banner-printing.html

I can see the logic.

How have you secured it to the shed - adhesive, roofing tacks?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.