Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra 7" diff and Quaife LSD fitment
wowblaauw

posted on 2/6/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra 7" diff and Quaife LSD fitment

Hi all,

I have a Sierra 7" diff which I have stripped down to the pinion gear to house a Quaife ATB but for the life of me am struggling a bit with the pinion gear nut. Its a 12 point 36mm socket I think. But looking at the spline it won't fit as the 1/2" hole is not big enough. So I am wondering, am I going to cut a snap on socket costing the best part of £60 in half or has someone out there already done this and have the tool for the job? Or other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Craig

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!"

SteveWalker

posted on 2/6/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Would a deeper socket help?

36mm Deep Socket

wowblaauw

posted on 2/6/20 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, no. The 1/2” sq for the 1/2” socket wrench is too small. This is the part I think I’ll have to chop off and then weld a tube to the socket part etc. But thanks for your idea, much appreciated.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!"

SJ

posted on 3/6/20 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
3/4" socket?
wowblaauw

posted on 3/6/20 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wowblaauw
Unfortunately, no. The 1/2” sq for the 1/2” socket wrench is too small. This is the part I think I’ll have to chop off and then weld a tube to the socket part etc. But thanks for your idea, much appreciated.

Actually Steve Walker got me thinking so I found a deep 3/4" socket having measured up last night and ordered it this morning, should be with me tomorrow. Didn't know such a thing existed so big thank you to Steve Walker.

Damn, What a ride!!"

fregis

posted on 21/11/20 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
i bought typical socket, cut in middle, extended with pipe what lenght i need, welded.

edited:
dam. sorry post old, didnt notice

[Edited on 21/11/20 by fregis]

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

wowblaauw

posted on 21/11/20 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
No worries, all sorted now and rebuilt with new Quaife ATB. That said, found the socket I needed but cost me the whole set which I won't bore with the cost lets just say that if any other is looking to do this job I am more than happy to loan out the socket providing it comes back - did save on a whole bunch of bother especially if you're like me and cant weld for toffee.

Damn, What a ride!!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.