Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plywood suppliers
peter030371

posted on 6/6/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Plywood suppliers

I need a few sheets of plywood for a garden project but I am really struggling to find a local supplier other than full sheets from the builders merchants. I can't get a full sheet in my car (who can) and only need two so they are not keen on delivering for a sensible price.

I can get 4 smaller sheets from Wickes or B&Q that will do the job for about £80 but none seem to have any stock

The best price including delivery is £140.

Anyone have any good websites that can supply 12 or 15mm hardwood ply, preferably cut to size, for sensible money?

adam1985

posted on 6/6/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had this on Friday, full sheets wouldn’t fit in my van (fully racked) and I aren’t paying twice as much for smaller boards so just brought a saw and cut them in half on the car park.
Wind made it interesting though

[Edited on 6/6/20 by adam1985]

peter030371

posted on 6/6/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
I had this on Friday, full sheets wouldn’t fit in my van (fully racked) and I aren’t paying twice as much for smaller boards so just brought a saw and cut them in half on the car park.
Wind made it interesting though

[Edited on 6/6/20 by adam1985]

I have done that before but getting to old to play silly buggers these day

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/6/20 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Odd our B&Q has a big cutting machine and will cut sheets up for you. Used myself as it does a perfect job. I'm sure it was free last time I used it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adam1985

posted on 6/6/20 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Odd our B&Q has a big cutting machine and will cut sheets up for you. Used myself as it does a perfect job. I'm sure it was free last time I used it.

Yeah that is a useful service and one i’ve used in the past but unfortunately my local store aren't doing it at the moment due to covid-19

Simon

posted on 7/6/20 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
As Mr W says, B&Q will chop up an 8x4 sheet (you get a few cuts for free)
SteveWalker

posted on 7/6/20 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, as Adam1985 said, B&Q cutting services are currently suspended. What you need is to borrow a battery powered circular saw.
peter030371

posted on 7/6/20 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen b&q cutting service before but currently suspended. Maybe I need to invest in a Ryobi one+ circular saw
stevepj

posted on 7/6/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
How about an inflatable roof rack? Or the locost version, airbed and ratchet straps?
peter030371

posted on 7/6/20 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevepj
How about an inflatable roof rack? Or the locost version, airbed and ratchet straps?

On a mini

Simon

posted on 7/6/20 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Why not, I once carried three sheets of 1/2" ply on roof of my classic mini from Wickes Maidstone to paddock wood

[Edited on 7/6/20 by Simon]

peter030371

posted on 7/6/20 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Why not, I once carried three sheets of 1/2" ply on roof of my classic mini from Wickes Maidstone to paddock wood

[Edited on 7/6/20 by Simon]

Oh, I need it up the road in Matfield, fancy a delivery job

Wickes will do me 2 sheets delivered for £60 so problem solved

Simon

posted on 7/6/20 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I work in Matfield, whereabouts do you want it?
Dingz

posted on 7/6/20 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/galthumbs/boards1.jpg
boards

If this works? these are 8' x 2'

[Edited on 8/6/20 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

nick205

posted on 8/6/20 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Unfortunately, as Adam1985 said, B&Q cutting services are currently suspended. What you need is to borrow a battery powered circular saw.

This is the way to do it I've been seen in Wickes car park sawing sheets of ply up so the bits would fit in the back of a Seat Alhambra (rear 5 seats removed so it was pretty van like inside). As it happened I needed the bits smaller anyway to clad a soap box kart so it worked perfectly for me.

If you need the sheet(s) at home and in 1 piece have you looked to see who offers delivery. Don't limit yourself to the DIY type stores. Timber yards can be equally useful (often more friendly and helpful as well).

SteveWalker

posted on 8/6/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Actually I've never actually done that, but then I can put 8' x 4' sheets on top of my 5' x 3' trailer. 1' overhang at the front (but drawbar is plenty long enough), 2' at the back, 6" each side (level with the mudguards) or I can put them on roof bars on my Zafira.

At one point I had a company car, no suitable roof bars and (temporarily) no tow bar - I didn't half get some looks turning up at the tip towing my trailer full of rubbish with the Robin Hood!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.