Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus ecu
John Bonnett

posted on 15/6/20 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Focus ecu

A bit of advice please.

I'm using a 1.6 Focus Sigma engine and am leaning towards using the standard injection system. I'm going to have to buy from a breaker an ecu, loom transponder and the ring thing receiver. Also the clocks.

Provider these come from the same vehicle will they work on my engine? Is there anything else I'll need to source?

The speedometer uses a Hall effect speed sensor mounted on the gearbox. Would this work with a speed sensor mounted to count the disc brake bolts? I imagine it won't because it would be counting at a different rate but could it be adapted? It's attractive to use the Ford instrument cluster if possible.

Thank you

John

big_wasa

posted on 15/6/20 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
An earlier ecu will avoid the post cat O2 sensor that checks up on the cat.( that you probably won't have ).

The two items that must come from the same car are the ecu and Rfid chip ( key ). The rest can be mixed and matched. But if you can get every thing from the same vehicle it cuts down on the doubt.

An earlier ecu also cut down on the use of Canbus coms by the dash.

Re the dash. It's most people's desire to bin it as quick as possible.
To make use of it you will need some kind of hall pick up and my idea is some type of speed healer to manipulate the signal. This can be used for the ecu as well.

John Bonnett

posted on 15/6/20 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you BW for your reply. I was hoping you might pick this up and give me your opinion which I very much appreciate.

The engine is from a 2004 car and I am trying to source the parts from a similar age car. I have no idea whether the instrument cluster is necessary or not but I will ask for it along with the other bits. I appreciate that the key must match the ecu.

Could you understand how the speed healer might help with the ecu please?

Many thanks

John

DW100

posted on 5/10/20 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you need a hand getting this sorted give me a shout. I'm in Crediton Devon.
John Bonnett

posted on 5/10/20 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100

That's really kind of you, thank you. In the meantime, I've decided to take the easy but expensive aftermarket option and use a DTA ecu and DTH Jenvey throttle bodies which will release the full potential of the engine, something I cannot resist.

I'd love to see you for a chat and a cuppa and I can show you what I'm up to. If you would like to pop over please drop me a PM and we can exchange contact details.

Kind regards

John

big_wasa

posted on 5/10/20 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
The speed heeler comment was about getting the required pulses per mile for the speedo to read correct.

The oem is not really any harder than any other Ecu. There is just a few more bits.

John Bonnett

posted on 5/10/20 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The speed heeler comment was about getting the required pulses per mile for the speedo to read correct.

The oem is not really any harder than any other Ecu. There is just a few more bits.

I'm sure you're right BW but I know my limitations which are very restricted which is partly why I'm taking the aftermarket route but probably the main one is that the ecu is programmable and with the T/Bs and decent breathing 160bhp has been achieved from an unmodified standard engine. Irresistable!

big_wasa

posted on 6/10/20 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, I could not do the sheet metal work that you can craft
John Bonnett

posted on 6/10/20 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I agree, I could not do the sheet metal work that you can craft

It's good that we're all different and have different strengths and skills which is why we are able to help each other.

SteveWalker

posted on 6/10/20 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out - I don't know if the various marks and petrol/diesels are the same, but on my Focus mk2 1.8TDCI, loss of communication (due to poor soldered joints to the connector socket) to and from the instrument cluster cut the ECU to idle only - in the third lane of the M60, in roadworks with no hard shoulder - fun! From what I was told at the time, the security codes/system reside in the instrument cluster and everything else talks to it.
big_wasa

posted on 6/10/20 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's not a problem with the mk1 Focus <2004
DW100

posted on 11/11/20 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:

That's really kind of you, thank you. In the meantime, I've decided to take the easy but expensive aftermarket option and use a DTA ecu and DTH Jenvey throttle bodies which will release the full potential of the engine, something I cannot resist.

I'd love to see you for a chat and a cuppa and I can show you what I'm up to. If you would like to pop over please drop me a PM and we can exchange contact details.

Kind regards

John

When all this lock down stuff is over I'd love to come and have a chat. Been following your build for some time now.

John Bonnett

posted on 11/11/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:

Kind regards

John

When all this lock down stuff is over I'd love to come and have a chat. Been following your build for some time now.

That would be absolutely marvellous. Almost any time is convenient. I'm really lucky and get to play every day.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.