Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modified Classic Car - MOT Emissions
perksy

posted on 7/7/20 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Modified Classic Car - MOT Emissions

A Mate has a 1973 MGB Roadster with a Nissan 200SX Turbo engine fitted

Although its a classic car It doesn't qualify for MOT exemption because it doesn't use a standard engine (modified engine type)

The Question is what emissions will it be tested to at MOT time?

I'm thinking it will be tested to the emissions spec' for the date of the engine fitted and might well need a catalytic converter

Am I right or wide of the mark?

Thanks

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/7/20 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
No, it will be tested on the age of the car. 73 is visible smoke I believe.
adithorp

posted on 7/7/20 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
No, it will be tested on the age of the car. 73 is visible smoke I believe.

This.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Oddified

posted on 7/7/20 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, no need to worry about the polar bears with that
perksy

posted on 7/7/20 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents

Its just had a stainless manifold & exhaust system custom made for it with no cat so that's a relief

[Edited on 7/7/20 by perksy]

bi22le

posted on 7/7/20 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had the opposite problem yesterday.

They type in the reg and it knows when it was registered. Mine is on a donor \ age related J plate but the machine come up with 2005 which is the year it was registered. I had to show him the V5 which had the SVA emissions details on it but he could not do anything about the computer. We got around it by looking up when J plate was and putting that year into the machine, not the reg. This gave us the more relaxed figures and happy times.

So you should be fine, they don't care what the engine is as long as it meets the registered year of the car.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

BenB

posted on 7/7/20 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Going slightly off tangent. Should the V5 on a Q-plate car have emissions standards on it?
Although I doubt it will work I'm trying to get TFL to consider a Q-plate car a "historical" vehicle for the purposes of ULEZ (I live just inside it and therefore in a years time will have to cough up £15 to drive the 100m to get outside the north circular).
Historical cars have exemption and given that the cut-off date is after the Q-plate emission testing date I'm trying to get them to exempt all Q-plate cars.
But the emissions on V5 is causing issues.

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/7/20 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Going slightly off tangent. Should the V5 on a Q-plate car have emissions standards on it?
Although I doubt it will work I'm trying to get TFL to consider a Q-plate car a "historical" vehicle for the purposes of ULEZ (I live just inside it and therefore in a years time will have to cough up £15 to drive the 100m to get outside the north circular).
Historical cars have exemption and given that the cut-off date is after the Q-plate emission testing date I'm trying to get them to exempt all Q-plate cars.
But the emissions on V5 is causing issues.

That looks like it will be a tough one to get through. Q plates never get the "historic " tax ie zero RFL? which is where there get the ULEZ definition from I believe. But worth a try. Just be careful not to cock it up for the currently exempt cars though, I wonder if that is a loophole that got forgotten about.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.