Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 5pw cams in 4xv engine?
crimondbanger

posted on 4/12/22 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
r1 5pw cams in 4xv engine?

about to convert a 4xv engine to run a 5pw injection system but need the cam sensor which the 4xv doesn't have.

sooo does anyone know , can you put the 4pw cam ( which have the sensor trigger cast in them) into a 4xv engine? Or should I try and make a sensor ring to fit the 4xv cam.

CosKev3

posted on 4/12/22 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Got a funny feeling there is no hole in the 4xv head for the cam sensor?
Might be wrong though as it's a few years ago since I had any R1 engines!
I converted a 4xv to injection when I turbocharged it by using Megasquirt using a Ford wasted spark coilpack and a crank trigger wheel,ran batch fired injection so no need for cam sensors.

crimondbanger

posted on 4/12/22 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
hopping 5pw rocker cover fits to solve that.

Basically I have a worn 5pw fitted and a nice rebuilt 4xv sitting under workbench. Can machine up offset adapters to make injection carbs work and have a spare rocker cover.

megasquirt ( speeduino ) is an option but as the car now has a full 5pw harness + clocks would be nice if it just worked with modding what i have.

Sanzomat

posted on 5/12/22 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think if you can get a cam sensor to work that would probably be best given you already have 5PW working.

Mine is a 4XV running 5PW throttle bodies (re-spaced and offset rings). I went down the Speeduino route and have fitted a 36-1 crank trigger as a direct swap for the 4XV one (same sensor) and run wasted spark with VW Polo type coil pack.

Off topic, but are you running stock 5PW injectors? when I had the Speeduino rolling road mapped the stock 5PW injectors ran out of flow at 11,000rpm, fully open 100% of the time! above 11k it went lean as couldn't provide enough fuel to keep the required AFR. For now I've set the limiter to 11k but will be fitting bigger injectors when I've saved up for another rolling road session.

crimondbanger

posted on 5/12/22 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Sanzomat

I did speak to you before and u kindly sent a speeduino map ( which i haven't tried yet).

The car is all 5pw gear except modified downpipes , exhaust can is original titanium 5pw, air-box is the usual piper domed sausage one siliconed onto the bodies. It seams to run well with no flat spots and i regularly hit the limiter as it pulls all the way to it. Plugs look OK so don't think injectors are at there limit but haven't had a wide-band on so don't know for sure.

How did you space the Bodies? Looks like 3+4 need spaced closer together and the throttle linkages will clash . Have some bonnet space so was going to fit some silicon tube joiners from my adapters to engine inlets and not bother altering bodies.....but will it work not sure

Sanzomat

posted on 5/12/22 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crimondbanger

How did you space the Bodies? Looks like 3+4 need spaced closer together and the throttle linkages will clash . Have some bonnet space so was going to fit some silicon tube joiners from my adapters to engine inlets and not bother altering bodies.....but will it work not sure

I didn't do it - they were physically on the car when I bought it but not really working on the ECU set up that had been used. The re-spacing seems to have been done by cutting down the fuel rail between 2 and 3 and inserting a joining piece and the throttle linkages have been altered in the same place, possibly using parts from 4XV carbs as there was a set in a box that came with the car with various bits of linkage missing!

The throttle body to head rubbers from the 5PW have been used with eccentric alloy spacers on the head stubs to both make up the size difference and allow fine tuning of the alignment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.