Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacing tap ceramic cartridges?
nick205

posted on 15/3/23 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Replacing tap ceramic cartridges?

Question for the LCB knowledge bank...

My kitchen mixer tap's developed a periodic drip. 99.9% sure it's the ceramic cartridge on the hot water side so purchased a pair of replacement hot and cold cartridges to fit. Looks a simple enough job.

2mm Allen key to remove lever handle.
17mm spanner to remove cartridge.
Then reverse process to install replacement.

Anyone else done this and any words of wisdom - major do's / don'ts?

John P

posted on 15/3/23 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Sound obvious but do make sure they are exactly the same.

I have found that whilst the cartridge may fit into the tap body OK the length of the external thread where the shroud fits can be different as can the length of the spline and the female thread where the screw that secures the lever goes.

John.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/3/23 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Turn off the stopcock first.

nick205

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
Sound obvious but do make sure they are exactly the same.

I have found that whilst the cartridge may fit into the tap body OK the length of the external thread where the shroud fits can be different as can the length of the spline and the female thread where the screw that secures the lever goes.

John.

May sound obvious, but still sound advice.

The tap itself is a Franke Olympus and I've bought genuine Franke Olympus cartridges. I'll still be checking all dimensions between old and new though.

nick205

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Turn off the stopcock first.

Again, sound advice.

The house stop cock will be shut off, as will individual hot and cold service valves beneath the tap.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Check whether hot and cold are different rotation directions for on - off. Mine were.

Every ceramic valve tap I've ever had has dripped within a few years. I don't know whether it's something in our water (it's neutral to hard) or whether there's electrolytic corrosion going on, but the brass in the valve units have failed. All my taps now are of the rubber washer type - easy and cheap to fix, as you can get a pack of rubber washers for a Pound or two from almost any hardware shop. Better than having to send off a heap of money to a particular maker!

Luddite, who me?

westf27

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Also the spline count does vary on the tap head shaft.
But with the few provisos the job is usually simple enough.

nick205

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Check whether hot and cold are different rotation directions for on - off. Mine were.

Every ceramic valve tap I've ever had has dripped within a few years. I don't know whether it's something in our water (it's neutral to hard) or whether there's electrolytic corrosion going on, but the brass in the valve units have failed. All my taps now are of the rubber washer type - easy and cheap to fix, as you can get a pack of rubber washers for a Pound or two from almost any hardware shop. Better than having to send off a heap of money to a particular maker!

Luddite, who me?

Tap is 18 years old (as is the kitchen I fitted). I know this, because I fitted it just before first child who's now 17 yrs and 3 months.

Tap has been faultless up to now and we live (Hampshire) in a very hard water area. Regular kettle and shower head descaling required.

Replacement cartridges I've got are the same rotation directions (already checked).

nick205

posted on 15/3/23 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
Also the spline count does vary on the tap head shaft.
But with the few provisos the job is usually simple enough.

Replacement cartridges have the same spline count and shaft Ø (already checked).

perksy

posted on 15/3/23 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Some good advice above and if your fitting genuine cartridges you should be fine

Checking the mating face inside the tap for scale or corrosion before fitting the new cartridges

indykid

posted on 15/3/23 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Luddite, who me?

Tap is 18 years old (as is the kitchen I fitted). I know this, because I fitted it just before first child who's now 17 yrs and 3 months.

Tap has been faultless up to now and we live (Hampshire) in a very hard water area. Regular kettle and shower head descaling required.

Replacement cartridges I've got are the same rotation directions (already checked).

I was going to say there's a 5 year warranty on the valves but that's long gone...

We have a franke ascona that's been through both its hot and cold warranty replacement valves. The warranty claim was dead easy, just ring a parts company and email them the receipt and a pair of valves arrive in the post.

For the process, isolate the water, remove the valve (prepare for the water in the tap neck to run back out at you - it's not a gusher, but don't panic that the water's not shut off) clean the tap body, fit the new valve, refit the lever, job jobbed.

JoelP

posted on 15/3/23 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
How tight you do the cartridges affects the position of the handle when it's off. The splines only allow approx alignment. Check the handles line up satisfactorily before packing up - you can tweek by tightening the valve slightly.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 16/3/23 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
perksy, indykid & JoelP

Thanks for the advice

1. Will make sure the mating faces are clean and damage free bfore installing the new cartridges.
2. Will prepare for the tap spout run back.
3. Will check hot/cold lever positions/operation as part of fitting new cartridges.

nick205

posted on 24/3/23 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Job done - simples.

Parts easy to fit and dripping stopped.

Realise now how worn the old cartridges were.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.