Board logo

Car import Q
coyoteboy - 6/2/24 at 05:07 PM

Hi Folks,

One that's got me scratching my head.

I've just re-imported my car from europe and put it through the HMRC import clearance (fine, the fastest and most friendly government process I've ever interacted with). However I now need to register it with the DVLA. The question is..... when I do, do I have to tax/MOT/insure it immediately or can I just immediately SORN it?

I only brought it back because I couldn't sell it there easily, so keeping it here is at my risk/loss and I want to minimise it!

coyoteboy - 7/2/24 at 08:53 AM

I guess I asked a niche question!

russbost - 8/2/24 at 11:35 AM

Not a definitive answer, but anything else you buy in the UK you can SORN immediately, I don't see why it should be any different?

At worst you might have to pay 6 months road tax along with the registration fee when you register it, but should then be able to immediately SORN & claim it back, should only cost one months tax - I don't think insurance & MoT come into it anymore, they always used to, but pretty sure I taxed a car that was currently not MoT'd or insured a year or so back

coyoteboy - 8/2/24 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Not a definitive answer, but anything else you buy in the UK you can SORN immediately, I don't see why it should be any different?

At worst you might have to pay 6 months road tax along with the registration fee when you register it, but should then be able to immediately SORN & claim it back, should only cost one months tax - I don't think insurance & MoT come into it anymore, they always used to, but pretty sure I taxed a car that was currently not MoT'd or insured a year or so back

Good point, if didn't think it could be claimed back. But you're right, thanks for reminding me!

gremlin1234 - 8/2/24 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I guess I asked a niche question!

certainly a niche question, and I don't know the answer

but,
the general registration procedure for imported cars over 3years old requires an mot, and payment of the first tax

I suspect you could trailer it home, unregistered.
then get an mot later, (issued on the chassis no)
then register/tax it.

edit to add
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65b38562c5aacc0013a6838e/v355-5-guide-to-filling-application-for-first-vehicle-tax-and-registration-of- used-motor-vehicle.pdf

[Edited on 8/2/24 by gremlin1234]

gremlin1234 - 8/2/24 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost

as far as I can tell.
the car needs to be mot'd to tax it - but it stays taxed even if the mot the expires! insurance is now enforced separately.

incidentally, I just found you can register off road vehicles, might be an idea for some racecars
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/657063bf746930000d4888eb/inf85-protect-your-off-road-vehicle.pdf

[Edited on 8/2/24 by gremlin1234]